Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sassy712 Posts: 25, Reputation: 6

Jul 13, 2013, 11:16 AM
    Child With Autism
    I have a child who is 9 years old. He has mild to moderate autism. The schools here are not teaching him anything. Instead of moving forward it seems he is going backward. I tried to home school him but I just am not a teacher, that is why I put him in public school. All the teachers here just wants my child doped up so that they don't have to deal with him. He doesn't do well on medication, He has been on Adarol, Concerta, etc.. and It seems he has side effects to all of it. Does any one know how I can get him the help/ education that he needs? We are a low income family, so as you all know... money talks and it's something that if you don't have a lot of, no one wants to help.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2013, 11:39 AM
    Are there any special schools in your area? Ask the teachers about IEP testing and classes

Jul 13, 2013, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Are there any special schools in your area? Ask the teachers about IEP testing and classes
    He has been attending the school he is in now every since I put him in public school, according to the board of education this school is the only one in this county that is certified in teaching kids with autism. I have tried getting him into a different school but every time I try, I am told he has to stay where he is because this is the only school that has the teachers that are certified in dealing with autism. He does have an IEP but It's no good if the teacher's aren't going to go by it and teach him.
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2013, 12:53 PM
    Maybe try calling where they are certified by and voice your concerns
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 13, 2013, 01:18 PM
    Is your child in a regular education classroom?
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2013, 01:20 PM
    She said he has an IEP so at least some classes are special ed but the teachers are not doing their job.
    Education Expert

Jul 13, 2013, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    She said he has an IEP so at least some classes are special ed but the teachers are not doing their job.
    He has an IEP which doesn't mean he is in a special education class. He could be mainstreamed in a regular education class. I'm asking about placement in a class which is specifically for special education students.
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2013, 01:39 PM
    Oh yeah I remember they can do that too.

Jul 16, 2013, 09:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Is your child in a regular education classroom?
    He is in a special ed class... with other children who has autism
    Education Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 09:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sassy712 View Post
    he is in a special ed class...with other children who has autism
    Ok. Did they give you a pamphlet when you had your IEP meeting with your rights listed in it?

Jul 16, 2013, 09:37 PM
    I had him reading and writing before he started that school/class... when the teacher called me in for a parent/ teacher confernce, she told me "she didn't know what was going on with him that he was reading and writing when he first started there, now he can't do neither"... that came out of her mouth...

Ok. Did they give you a pamphlet when you had your IEP meeting with your rights listed in it?
    I don't think so... but I do know it is almost time for another iep meeting...
    Education Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 09:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sassy712 View Post
    i don't think so....but i do know it is almost time for another iep meeting...
    What state are you located in?

Jul 17, 2013, 08:04 AM
    What state are you located in?
    Georgia
    Education Expert

Jul 17, 2013, 10:39 AM
    http://archives.gadoe.org/DMGetDocum...4D51570&Type=D

Here's a link to your parent rights brochure. You have the right to disagree with your child's educational placement. I would contact the SELDA office and have an advocate/ mediator present at your child's next IEP meeting. This is outside of your school district, so no need to worry about your child's teacher being angry. The advocate is for your child to make sure his needs are met. Some states call them ombudsmen. I'll research more for you to find out what your state labels them.
    lilone3667 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jul 19, 2013, 11:07 PM
    I understand what you going threw. My child is Autism too. To get the help for my child I kept on going to the school board and kept on calling the broad of Education, telling them my concern. I don't know if you have it where you live. Where I live there a nonprofit org. That help family like you to fight to get the Education you need for your son. Because your son have a IEP to them it just a piece of paper if it been done by them instead of you. Every year I do my son IEP let the school know what I want him to learn.
    Education Expert

Jul 20, 2013, 05:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lilone3667 View Post
    I understand what you going threw. My child is Autism too. To get the help for my child I kept on going to the school board and kept on calling the broad of Education, telling them my concern. I don't know if you have it where you live. Where I live there a nonprofit org. That help family like you to fight to get the Education you need for your son. Because your son have a IEP to them it just a piece of paper if it been done by them instead of you. Every year I do my son IEP let the school know what I want him to learn.
    An IEP takes into account the educational needs of your child and your child's abilities. A parent must agree to an IEP before it can be enforced as it is a legal document. The problem in this case is the implementation of the goals of the IEP. They must be achievable with at least 70% of the goals met in most cases. I suggested an advocate from outside the district to help at the IEP meetings and following up with the school.
    lilone3667 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jul 20, 2013, 06:31 AM
    An IEP takes into account the educational needs of your child and your child's abilities. A parent must agree to an IEP before it can be enforced as it is a legal document. The problem in this case is the implementation of the goals of the IEP. They must be achievable with at least 70% of the goals met in most cases. I suggested an advocate from outside the district to help at the IEP meetings and following up with the school.
    As a retired state worker for adult and kids with a disability I thought the same to. A parent agree what they put down and sign it. A parent can help write there child IEP on goal to help him/her to learn. My son was doing the same thing just sitting in the class doing nothing that was on the IEP until I started to help them how to write it to help him to learn. Autism kids learns in a differ way and they don't adjust to knew thing very well. And they can't do two thing at the same time because it too much for them. I don't know what state you live in but all state is not the same when it come down about our special need kids.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 20, 2013, 06:48 AM
    lilone3667, it is very hard to take you seriously as a "retired state worker for adult and kids with a disability" considering the typographical errors in your posts.

"Autism kids?" Do you mean autistic kids? Is English not your first language?
    Education Expert

Jul 20, 2013, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lilone3667 View Post
    As a retired state worker for adult and kids with a disability I thought the same to. A parent agree what they put down and sign it. A parent can help write there child IEP on goal to help him/her to learn. My son was doing the same thing just sitting in the class doing nothing that was on the IEP until I started to help them how to write it to help him to learn. Autism kids learns in a differ way and they don't adjust to knew thing very well. And they can't do two thing at the same time because it to much for them. I don't know what state you live in but all state is not the same when it come down about our special need kids.
    I am in California. We have a very large state population of students with disabilities. Obviously, I understand the IEP process and don't need to be told about the needs and behaviors of children with autism. I have multiple degrees in education, including Special Education. Helping to write achievable goals is helpful for the IEP process, but not necessary. Being an attentive parent and attending meetings along with providing input is all part of the Student Study Team process.

Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    lilone3667, it is very hard to take you seriously as a "retired state worker for adult and kids with a disability" considering the typographical errors in your posts.

"Autism kids?" Do you mean autistic kids? Is English not your first language?
    I'm in total agreement with you.

Jul 29, 2013, 09:36 AM
    http://archives.gadoe.org/DMGetDocum...4D51570&Type=D

Here's a link to your parent rights brochure. You have the right to disagree with your child's educational placement. I would contact the SELDA office and have an advocate/ mediator present at your child's next IEP meeting. This is outside of your school district, so no need to worry about your child's teacher being angry. The advocate is for your child to make sure his needs are met. Some states call them ombudsmen. I'll research more for you to find out what your state labels them.
    Thanks so much...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long do I have to pay child support for a child with autism [ 5 Answers ]

My Husband I have been Married to for a little over a year,He has a Son from a previous marriage with Autism. The court have entitled his ex to receive child support for this child until his 20th birthday.. She is now taking him back to court to try to get this extended... He gets S.S.I. checks...

Son has autism [ 17 Answers ]

My son has autism. He is 6years old and he's on the moderate to high end of the spectrum but he still has his set backs. I understand autism has become a more open topic now with more and more children becoming diagnosed with it.. . but now my issue and question : when we go to public places my son...

Ambrotose and Autism [ 2 Answers ]

I am interested in information about Ambrotose and its effects and whether it is worth trying with a child of 5 and one of 7 with Autism and ODD respectively. Also within what time frame should I see some evidence of usage. Also I live in South Australia and was wondering where it can be obtained...

Smoking and autism [ 1 Answers ]

Im giving up smoking. (Begrudgingly!) as I have recently found out that I am pregnant. However I have since heard a rumour that smoking and in particular nicotine can cause autism. If so should I not stop using the nicotine patches that my doctor has prescribed for me?! Help!

Autism [ 2 Answers ]

Is autism curable? And to what extent autitic person can be adapted to ordinary life?

View more questions Search