Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Splinterz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2013, 10:00 AM
    Bee sting ER or not
    2 yrs ago I was stung by a red wasp and had an allergic reaction, treatment was 25mg benedryl and a steroid. Last year was stung again but by a yellow jacket same deal, went to ER due to signs of allergic reaction and was given 25mg benedryl and steroid. If I get stung again, would an ER visit be required if I immediately take 25 or 50mg of benedryl? I am 45, healthy, eat quite well, exercise regularly yet a little overweight. BP is 110/70 and pulse is 42 (those are normal numbers for me on any given day)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2013, 10:04 AM
    If the allergic reaction is bad yes. Usually each time gets worse. You might try carrying a bee sting kit
    Locrian_44 Posts: 44, Reputation: 14

Jul 14, 2013, 01:27 PM
    Learn the symptoms of anaphylaxis, because anaphylaxis can happen later, even if it doesn't happen the first time. Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening allergic reaction to an insect sting and other allergens.

What was your reaction? Local swelling, itching? Local reactions generally do not require emergency room care.

Any systemic reactions - reactions away from the site of the sting, such as labored breathing, hives, throat/tongue swelling, abnormal heart rhythm, indicate that you may be severely anaphylactic.

The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They can give you further instructions.

Anaphylaxis happens quickly. Benadryl pills probably work too slowly in emergency situations. You might not give yourself the proper dose if you self medicate. A doctor would never prescribe a dose on a website like this. Epinephrine is used in emergency situations. Your doctor can subscribe an Epi-pen.

Bee & Wasp Sting: Treatment and First Aid
    Bee and Wasp Sting Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - What is the treatment for a bee or wasp sting? on MedicineNet
    Anaphylaxis: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
    Anaphylaxis Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment & Management | AAAAI
    Wasp Sting - Symptoms, Emergency, What to Do - NY Times Health Information

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bee Sting [ 2 Answers ]

I got stung by a bee last Tuesday and I pulled the stinger out and it was a little swollen but fine in general. Now a week later it swollen and red and ichy and there are also several little bumps next to the site as well. I don't feel sick I'm just concerned

Bee sting! [ 2 Answers ]

A woman had been taking golf lessons. She had just started playing her first round of golf when she suffered a bee sting. Her pain was so intense that she decided to return to the clubhouse for help and to complain. Her golf pro saw her come into the clubhouse and asked, "Why are you back...

Bee sting [ 2 Answers ]

My little girl bit an apple and got stung in the mouth and her upper lip and nose area is swollen. What can I do?

Swollen bee sting, is this normal? [ 2 Answers ]

So I was walking down the street on Friday and I felt a sting on my foot. I looked down and saw what I thought looked like a bee. So I flicked it off my foot. It stung me on my big toe, hurt for about an hour. It itched all night and when I woke up on Saturday morning, my foot was SOOO swollen!...

View more questions Search