Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Montana500 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2013, 04:56 PM
    Early termination clause in the lease
    My husband and I put an early termination clause in our lease agreement with the current tenants. The clause states that we have the right to terminate the lease early for any reason as long as we give the tenants 30 days notice. The tenants signed the lease, but can we legally enforce the clause? We would like to sell our house.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 12, 2013, 06:53 PM
    So why terminate the lease? Tell the tenants you are putting the property up for sale and you will give the, at least 30 days notice before the closing.

Its often easier to sell a house that is occupied then one that is empty.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2013, 07:04 PM
    I was watching a show where they talked about land even showed how some people get paid to live in an empty house because its easier to sell since people can envision how their furniture will fit than they can in an empty house.
    Montana500 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2013, 07:12 PM
    Our lease agreement ends oct 31st, so would be it OK to end the lease before then if we sell our house since we have an early termination clause? Can we legally get them out before the end of the lease?? That's what we are unsure about.
    Plus tenants are a pain... would worry they would be uncooperative while trying to sell.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2013, 07:18 PM
    If its in the clause and once the house is sold its no longer yours anyway so I don't see why you couldn't
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 13, 2013, 05:16 AM
    Unless there is something in local laws prohibiting early termination clauses, then you should be fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking to add a cancellation or early termination clause to a lease [ 9 Answers ]

I am a landlord in FL, renting an apt during the winter to an elderly couple fronm up north... Due to their age and any unforseen circumstances, I need to put in an early cancellation clause in the lease in case they can't take residence next year as scheduled or have to terminate early due to...

Is an early termination fee or liquidated damages clause required on lease contract? [ 7 Answers ]

I live in Florida. I need to break my lease. There is an stipulation on my contract that says... "tenant must first submit such request in writing to the office. resident must give 60 day written notice and remarketing fee of $250. The charge will in no way release the resident of his/her...

Lease Termination Clause for Condo Rental [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone provide/point to a proforma tenant centric 60 day lease termination clause to be added to a standard rental agreement once a verbal agreement is accepted?

Early Termination Clause and Rent Payment [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am asking from Washington State, in regards to early terminating my lease. I had an early termination clause, and was verbally told that I would not have to pay the 1/2 months rent for early terminating. They did however, state that I would have to pay rent until it was re-rented, of...

Termination of Lease early [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently renting a home in TN. I have been renting for 3 months. My GF and her children moved back to GA. The house is too big for me, so I am wanting to move into something smaller. I am wanting to end my lease early. Question is: The lease is a 1 year lease. But in the lease...

View more questions Search