Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garboozle Posts: 139, Reputation: -5

Jul 11, 2013, 02:23 PM
    "Failed to file 2011 School Tax"
    This is one of the worse days of my life. According to a letter I just received I failed to file my 2011 school income tax. I KNOW I did, It was around 50$ and I paid it in a money order, but I can find no documentation saying I did so, probably because it was from two years ago. This is a night mare. Is there ANYTHING I can possible do to prove that I paid? I've searched top and bottom for that receipt. What damage am I looking at if I can't find any proof?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 11, 2013, 02:43 PM
    I'm not familiar with school income tax - is this a local tax in your city or county? In general failure to file taxes typically results in a penalty plus interest charges on the amount due - doesn't the letter tell you what the penalty and interest charges are? Tell us the jursidiction this is in and we can do some more research on it.

By the way - if having to pay $50 makes this the worse day of your life, you've certainly had a pretty charmed life!

Jul 11, 2013, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    I'm not familiar with school income tax - is this a local tax in your city or county? In general failure to file taxes typically results in a penalty plus interest charges on the amount due - doesn't the letter tell you what the penalty and interest charges are? Tell us the jursidiction this is in and we can do some more research on it.

By the way - if having to pay $50 makes this the worse day of your life, you've certainly had a pretty charmed life!
    I live in Ohio. It's not the 50 I'm worried about, it's the two years of late fees. The letter actually didn't tell me how much I owe.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 11, 2013, 06:15 PM
    Agree about the charmed life.

I suspect the OP is from Ohio, which has several local income taxes that are school-specific.

Jul 11, 2013, 07:21 PM
    As I said, I'm WORRIED about the fines, I've worked so hard to save up what I can and if these fines drain me like I'm afraid they will it will indeed be one of the worse days of my life.

You nailed it right on the head, it is a local income tax that is school specific.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 12, 2013, 12:47 AM
    I am sorry, there is no way to prove, if their records do not show it, the only way is for you to keep your tax records properly ( sorry, but truth) each year there should be a file folder for taxes and all records keep. I even keep a digital copy on computer. Of all taxes.

So now, you go down and talk to them, see if you can get them to agree for a lower amount if you pay, To waive any fines or other costs
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 12, 2013, 12:26 PM
    The fines should NOT be extreme, not on a $50 payment. Do what Father Check advises and go to speak with them.

Jul 29, 2013, 10:15 AM
    Eh, only had to pay 185 bucks accountant fee included so looks like I hit the panic button pre-maturely.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 30, 2013, 09:24 AM
    Perspective is everything!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax for 2011 - which form to file [ 1 Answers ]

I will be filing jointly with my wife! She is not eligible to work in US (F2).When I was nonresident for the past 5 years, I use to fill out form 8843 (Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals With a Medical Condition For use by alien individuals only.) for both my wife and I. Do I need to...

File 2011 USA Tax with H1B Working Status [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My personal information: 1. P.R. China Nationality, I was a student UNTIL June 30, 2007. 2. I've been single since my birth; 3. I DO have 401(k) account; 4. I DO have stocks; 5. I do NOT have a house or car; 6. I DO have 1099 forms from banks;

I am moving to Georgia soon. What address I should use to file TAX -2011. [ 5 Answers ]

I live in virginia for 2011 but now moving to Georgia with in some days. To file TAx return for 2011 what address I should use. I'll stay in hotel for 1 month, so I will't have any permanent address for 1 month period. What address should I use in that case can I use my friends address living in...

Form assistance needed to file tax returns 2011 - (1040EZ or 1040NR) [ 2 Answers ]

I came to US on May 2011 on L1B, my spouse on July 2011 L1B. I am moved back to India on December 2011. I want to file tax as MFJ - married file jointly. We both got SSN. The question is: 2011 is the first time when I visited US. I stayed in US for more than 200 days in 2011. Could you please...

Failed to file 2004 State Tax Return [ 3 Answers ]

I received a notice in the mail recently stating that I failed to file income tax with the state of RI in 2004. I have been a RI resident my entire life and have filed taxes yearly, not sure what happened in 2004, but anyway... looking for some possible advised. I have been working full time in...

View more questions Search