Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cpass Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2013, 10:32 AM
    Husky pooping in crate
    I have a one year old husky. He is a great dog when I home with very few inside accidents (they usually only occur when I fail to let him out promptly when he hints he needs to go). He sleeps in my room with me at night (uncrated) and has no accidents and when I leave the house for short periods I occasionally leave him out with no problem. However, every time he gets into his crate, no matter how long, he pees and poops! I always let him out before I leave and supervise making sure he pees and poops before coming inside and he still goes while I am gone. I need help! I can't keep scrubbing his crate every time I come home. Any suggestions/steps for starting over and stopping the pooping in the kennel?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 11, 2013, 10:37 AM
    Was he a crated puppy-mill dog and had to use his crate as his bathroom?
    StopKatieTime Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2013, 11:52 AM
    Make sure the dog doesn't have a lot of extra room in his crate. If he does, he'll separate his sleeping/hanging out space from his bathroom space and think that that's where he goes. Obviously, you don't want it too small that it's uncomfortable, but he won't want to poop/pee where he sleeps.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2013, 05:37 PM
    I would guess that this dog has separation anxiety. Due to him being able to hold it over night and while you are around him means that he is in fact house trained.

Separation anxiety is not something that can be fixed. It takes a lot of time an patience to figure out how to comfort your dog while you're away.

You should contact a trainer and see what type of advice and/or tips they have for you.

Playing a radio or TV while you are gone can help. It tricks the dog into thinking you're still home.

If you're able to, sometimes getting another dog that is older and more comfortable with life will calm your anxiety dog.

There are herbal pheromones and supplements you can give that relieve anxiety. You can also go to your vet and get prescription anxiety medications.

Increasing her exercise before crate time helps a lot, too.

Separation anxiety can pop up, especially in high energy, "needy" breeds such as huskies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I stop my husky from pooping in his crate? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a one year old husky that is house trained. Though when I leave the house I have to put him in his crate because he would destroy the place. It doesn't matter if I'm gone for 5 minutes or 8 hours he will either poop, pee or both by the time I get back. I take him outside before I leave and...

My husky keeps poo-ing in her crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have an almost 1 year old husky. She was a rescue and had been in foster care for 3 or 4 months. When we got her she as great in in crate. Occasionally she would wet but was still pretty good. She then started poo-ing pretty regularly when left in her crate. She got better for about a month...

Pooping in crate [ 6 Answers ]

Hi,I have an 11 week old bernese mountain dog whom we purchased at a pet store.He is having difficulty with pooping in his crate.We took him to the vet the day after we got him because he had runny diaherra with mucus and blood in it.The vet did a test on his poop and he had coccidia.He was treated...

12 week Husky pooping in cage [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 12 week old male Siberian husky that continues to poop in his cage when he is left in there while I am at work. I usually arrange for him to only be in his cage for no more than 3 or 4 hours at a time. BUT even at that length of time I come home to him thrashing in his poop. I have...

Pooping in Crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 week old mini dachsund and crate training her. I have reduced the size of the crate to hopefully stop her from eliminating in her crate. When I crate her with her toys, etc. and I went upstairs. She crys and howls when I leave and hhen I came back down 10 minutes later she pooped in...

View more questions Search