Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    romil123456 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2013, 04:07 PM
    pricing and output for decision making
    Chopper Ltd, a manufacturer of lawn mowers, is unsure of whether to purchase an automated metal cutting machine to speed up its building of the bodywork for its lawn mowers. The machine would cost £250,000, which would have to be borrowed at an overdraft rate of 8% per annum, but would reduce variable costs from the current level of £37.00 per lawn mower to £34.50 per lawn mower. At present Chopper Ltd has fixed costs of £500,000 per annum.
    A consultant has been commissioned by Chopper Ltd to help establish its demand function, and it has been found that demand increases at a constant rate of 1,560 lawn mowers for every £1 decrease in price and that there will be no sales at a price of £72.00.
    Chopper Ltd seeks to maximise profits. Ignore taxation.
    If purchased, the metal cutting machine would be acquired on the first day of Chopper's accounting year. Since the machine will last for many years its depreciation should be ignored.
    Requirement:
    A) If the company does not purchase the metal cutting machine, calculate the selling price required to maximise profit, the quantity sold, and the corresponding total revenue and profit at that selling price, using differential calculus techniques.
    10 per cent
    (Note: an answer calculated by tabulation will not lose any marks for its approach.)
    B) If Chopper Ltd were to purchase the metal cutting machine, what would be the new optimum level of sales, and the total revenue and profit at that price?
    10 per cent
    C) Recommend whether Chopper Ltd should purchase the metal cutter. Briefly suggest additional areas for the management to concentrate on improving.
    5 per cent
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Jul 11, 2013, 06:22 AM
    Nice copy-n-paste job on the question, right down to the percentage credits for each part. Hence you're part way there. Now (per the homework-help rules you read earlier, surely) just show your work and your efforts at the solution, and help will be forthcoming.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making the right decision [ 3 Answers ]

I don't now whether I am doing the right thing... I just finished my 12th grade in india and now I want to do my medicine in australia but my father is against it... he is worried about me.. and I can't convince him that I can manage things.. However I also have my fear regarding this matter--...

Pricing Decision [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a danger in the decision rule that states "always accept any offer that has a positive contribution margin?"

Making a decision [ 3 Answers ]

We have a second mortgage on our home. At this time the monthly payment is not allowing us to make payments on other bills. I have done my best to make payments on time but I don't think I will be able to at this point. My question is we own two homes one has been a rental unit for over 15 years...

Making a decision [ 14 Answers ]

Some one explain this to me... Im just having a bad day once again, trying to keep my head up but this one things keeps bothering me. 1 week before we split she wanted to get married and tld me I'm theo nly one for her. We have a son, then a week later we break up and then a weekafter that...

Pricing decision [ 2 Answers ]

We have shown in this module that poor decision making may result when acceptable prices are determined by adding a fixed percentage to the "full cost" of a product when that "full cost" includes a unitized fixed cost. The lesson in the module is that any selling price above the contribution margin...

View more questions Search