Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2013, 02:41 PM
    Have we lost true Christianity?
    I was thinking today and thought I would share my wisdom. ( that was a joke) What bothers me the most about human beings, Christians as well as non Christians is hypocrisy. Now don't get me wrong, I certainly have been guilty of it. For me it all boils down to a superior spirit or a certain amount of self righteousness. It really is kind of sickening though. Aren't we all in the same boat? If we were to ask most people ( not only Christians but everyone) it is MY personal experience many would believe they are not capable of certain acts and serious sins. Most think they are OK or even slightly better. The one thing my own father drilled into me was that my flesh was capable of Anything... the good, the bad and the exceedingly ugly. Therefore it is difficult for me to listen to people who wag their tongues and shake their heads at others. If Jesus did anything, he showed us that condemnation kills the spirit and leaves a person powerless over sin. After all, it was the Lord who gave the gift of no condemnation to the woman caught in adultery. The crowd wanted her stoned but the Lord silenced each accuser and sent them packing. If anyone could have condemned her it would have been HIM and he would not.

I believe if we as Christians would stop with the self righteousness we could reach the lost. In fact, it is the ONE thing that sets Christianity apart from other religions. Religion is about self improvement and pleasing God with works. Christianity is about a relationship with the creator and recognizing apart from Jesus we can't do anything to please God. It is a little difficult to be self righteous when one realizes: it was, it is and it will NEVER be about us. It is all about HIM and what he has done for us.

People don't need to be told they are wrong and sinful. They know it. They need to be loved unconditionally, not judge, not condemned. They need Jesus the epitome of GRACE. If we could get through to the world with THAT message... the world would change. But 2000 years after the Lord Jesus died we still have the same old tired message, we are still full of judgment, we are still full of self righteousness and our works. No wonder most people see Christianity as another religion, one of many paths to God. We have MISSED the boat here... Jesus is the ONLY path to God.

So my question is : do we really believe we are ALL capable of every evil sin imaginable. OR do we think there is some GOOD in us apart from Jesus? Do we stand in judgment of other Christians or do we realize in the right circumstance we can do the same evil sin. What is Christianity to you? Is it a religion, it is about self improvement? What is Christianity?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2013, 02:48 PM
    You are100% right and you only touched the surface
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 10, 2013, 04:07 PM
    I was sort of agreeing until I got to 'Jesus is the only path to God.' If you go out saving the lost with that belief, I don't think you will save many. In fact it doesn't mesh very will with the whole 'let's not judge and condemn.'

(I also don't agree with your definitions of both religion and of Christianity.)
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Jul 10, 2013, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I was sort of agreeing til I got to 'Jesus is the only path to God.' If you go out saving the lost with that belief, I don't think you will save many. In fact it doesn't mesh very will with the whole 'let's not judge and condemn.'

(I also don't agree with your definitions of both religion and of Christianity.)
    There is a reason that Christ gave the church these verses...

Matthew 7:13
    “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

Luke 13:22-25
    "Then Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching as he made his way to Jerusalem. 23 Someone asked him, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?”

He said to them, 24 “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. 25 Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’

“But he will answer, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’"

He knew that few of humanity's entirety would receive Him as Lord.

Jul 10, 2013, 04:59 PM
    Good point Classy... but also remember that "good" is a relative term. When we speak of it and God speaks of it, it is really two different things. Many of us know good people... however we're told very specifically in scripture that not one of us is good.

... and to me Christianity is both acknowledgement and acceptance of Christ's salvation and lordship. It doesn't mean living a perfect life, because that isn't possible.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2013, 05:46 PM
    The Greek term from which we get "Christian" means "Christ-like." That's what it means for me: being like Christ. Sharing. Looking after the poor. Caring for the hurting. Trying my best to be at peace with everyone. Holding tightly to that intimate relationship with the Father. But I can only do this last one because He made it possible with His death and resurrection. Thus, He transforms me from the inside out; as that intimate relationship grows, it can't help but spill over into compassion for others, especially "the least of these."
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2013, 05:58 PM
    Nowadays it seems like many Christians are following the gospel of bless me, listening to preachers that preach self empowerment. When it comes to helping the poor they leave it in the tithe basket for the Church to deal with.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 10, 2013, 06:31 PM
    I like what Dave said. I was pretty quick to disagree, when it isn't about disagreeing.

Jul 10, 2013, 06:41 PM
    To add to what nohelp mentioned... I don't even think we do well in the tithe basket. Money is always a touchy subject in religion... but good lord people, loosen the hold you have on your money.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2013, 06:48 PM
    True but my point was more about how Christians have more of a passive attitude of leave it to others rather than reaching out and getting involved outside of church activities. The Church does the thinking and all. Sit back and be entertained mentality
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2013, 06:49 PM
    Joy,

How would you define Christianity vs. religion. Because the way I believe Christianity SHOULD be defined is a relationship with the creator through Jesus Christ. I can't go along with all paths lead to God.. or even other paths lead to God when Jesus said CLEARLY otherwise. That isn't judging... that is Christianity 101. We can't do anything to get to heaven apart from believing Jesus. Religion the best I can tell is about enlightenment and self improvement. Where am I wrong? What don't you agree with?

HH,

Complete agreement. There is NONE good and yet the bible says many made righteous because of the Lord Jesus. I also believe we can do good works but ONLY because of Jesus. I guess my point was apart from HIM we can't be good, we can't do anything.

Edit... I re read your post. Ok. Well good is a relative term but my point is that in our flesh there is nothing good. Oh we have good moments and actions sometimes but it isn't good enough. AND... my big pet peeve is that most people ( Christians too) don't believe it. They don't believe they could commit murder, adultery and even worse. In the right circumstance, we are all the same, we could. Do you disagree?
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2013, 07:05 PM
    Dave,

I totally get what you are saying but I think you are missing my thought. See, I don't think it is about us and us trying. He changes, he transforms, he lives through me, I don't have to do anything but die to self.The Christian life is all about HIM. And RIGHT believing will produce the proper behavior and right living automatically , effortless. Christianity shouldn't be about behavior modification but a transformation.

P.S. Now if I went and gave you a big fat greenie how much fun would that be? I have to give you a little bit of a hard time. I have a point... admit it. :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2013, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    True but my point was more about how Christians have more of a passive attitude of leave it to others rather than reaching out and getting involved outside of church activities. The Church does the thinking and all. Sit back and be entertained mentality
    All too often, you're absolutely right. Thing is, when we start talking about the poor etc. we get all kinds of H&D about how the government shouldn't be doing it, that's the church's job and the government is usurping it. Question: WHY did the government start doing it? Because the church wasn't! And still isn't. And why? The gospel of self. God wants you skinny, rich and good-looking (strike one, strike two, strike three, I'm out!). Only in America.

There is hope, though. More and more Christians, especially younger ones, are looking around themselves and saying "this isn't right. Time for a change." It may be too late for my generation, but all is not lost.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2013, 07:06 PM
    NOHELP,

Yes I see your point. Where the heck have you been anyway... thought you fell off the face of the earth. Lol
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2013, 07:11 PM
    I could never get logged in. Gave up, tried again and wouldn't let me in from my email, gave up and finally tried again. Glad to see you hanging in here.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2013, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    And RIGHT believing will produce the proper behavior and right living automatically , effortless.
    I am so thoroughly flabbergasted that you said that, I have no idea how to respond. Well, except maybe, um, Romans 7?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 10, 2013, 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    The Christian life is all about HIM.
    ... all about HIM and how we can show love to each other (as HE and Dave said).

Matthew 22:37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2013, 08:03 PM
    WG...

Mathew.. was that BEFORE his death and resurrection? OH YEAH.. it was! Hey... how many times have you loved the Lord with all your heart, mind and soul... and LOVED even ol ME as yourself?
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2013, 08:04 PM
    Dave,

Who is going to stay in Romans 7? Do you really think PAUL did? Oh my word. no. he didn't do you need me to back it up?

Romans 8 is there for a reason. Are You serious?? I am like blown away right now... hint hint my friend... Paul actually GREW in his faith. He GOT it. It takes awhile... but Paul actually teaches TRUE Christianity... stick with him... it gets better. ( I am officially frightened of your response.. ha ha and yet... I can't stop myself)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 10, 2013, 09:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    Mathew..was that BEFORE his death and resurrection? OH YEAH..it was!! hey...how many times have you loved the Lord with all your heart, mind and soul....and LOVED even ol ME as yourself?
    So, it was before. So?

How many times have you (or I or John Smith) obeyed all the commandments? Or even these two? That's what His death on the cross was all about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What was the movie about priests discovering Christianity was not true by archeology [ 2 Answers ]

What was the movie from the early 2000's or 1990's, about priest discovering Christia.nity was not true by archaeologic finds in Jerusalam

True or Not True about Breast Cancer and plastic bottle water in left a car [ 8 Answers ]

I had this conversation with one of my co-works today regarding Breast Cancer. She told me that you women can get breast cancer by bottle water left in a car. I don't believe it. Is there anyone who can answer this question please?

Lost a true love [ 2 Answers ]

I have a feeling that the girlfriend that recently broke up with me about a month ago was my true love. I don't think she realized it the way I did but something keeps telling me she was the one for me. Any advice?

Has Christianity lost it's way? [ 18 Answers ]

Brian McLaren, an evangelical pastor and author of "A New Kind of Christian" writes: "Sadly, for centuries at a time in too many places to count, the Christian religion has downplayed, misconstrued, or forgotten the secret message of Jesus entirely. Instead of being about the kingdom of God...

View more questions Search