Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JimfromSTL Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2013, 05:01 PM
    Water heater - denver specific questions
    My daughter lives in Denver (I live in St. Louis) and her water heater keeps going out. It is older and I intend to replace it. However it is connected to the gas line via a flexible gas pipe (the older silver one - not the new yellow one)... I have not seen a water heater connected in that manner and wonder if this was (a) a proper installation for Denver (I am used to rigid black pipe) and (b) whether there is any issue with piezio ignited pilots - as her current one seems to have a really hefty pilot light flame (which I am attributing to being an older model). But again curious if things are different because of the altitude in Denver. Thanks for any info.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 10, 2013, 05:14 PM
    Hi Jim

I can't speak to Denver area code, so for an exact answer I would suggest calling the local plumbing inspector and simply ask your question to him/her.

In terms of my experience in my state, we always hard pipe water heaters using black steel pipe/fittings, but there are some inspectors that will allow the flexible connectors, so I don't see any problems with them... just old-fashioned and won't install them in my company!

In terms of the piezo ignitor, I would bet the higher elevation makes it so the gas pressure is made to be higher and makes it so the pilot needs to be larger. Piezo ignitors are the future and will continue to be that way for a long time, so again, no concerns here.

If you want to discuss more, just let me know, OK?

Mark
    JimfromSTL Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2013, 05:11 AM
    Thanks. I will check with a local inspector...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Specific Heat Questions. [ 3 Answers ]

The question is... A piece of unknown metal with mass 14.9g is heated to 100.0 C and dropped into 75.0 g of water at 20.0. The final temperature of the system is 28.5 C. The final temp. of the system is 28.5 C. What is the s pecific heat of the metal... I understand that you use the formula ...

Commercial hot water heater questions [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I am a facility super in MA and I have a 250 gallon PVI water heater that is leaking below the element. Its 36 kw 480 volt feed. I have a plumber that gave me a quote of $22,000 to change it. He is a vendor I use and have trusted but would like to get some feelers out there for...

Out grounding with NEC specific questions [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I'm sorry for re-asking something that looks like it's asked several times a week, but I can't find specifics to my case, and trying to read through the NEC and it's making my head spin. I have some ungrounded outlets in an old section of my house, the ungrounded wire (2 wire, 600 V) is not...

Water heater, receptacle, and panel questions [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 4500/4500 watt standard water heater. The upper and lower heating elements fire in sequence. THEY DO NOT FIRE SIMULTANEOUSLY. I ran 10/2 and hooked it up to a double pole 30 amp breaker (which is plugged into an UNpowered panel) as the heater requires 240 volts. I have not powered up...

Specific questions RE: VA DCSE [ 11 Answers ]

:confused: So, my ex and I have agreed to leave things alone. There are no struggles of child support back and forth, and the kids are fine with going from one of us to another but something came in the mail last week... I get a letter from the VA DCSE in Portsmouth, VA saying I owed...

View more questions Search