Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TWBuild Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2013, 03:40 PM
    2x8 floor joist span
    I have a bungalow that I want to add a 2nd floor to. There is a knee wall that will come out & a new wall built at the front of the house. My question is, I have 2X8 joists 16oc that span 13' 6" from the front of the house to the back of the living room. Will they be strong enough for a 2nd floor? They are working now but the upstairs is only in the center of the house, knee wall to knee wall.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2013, 03:57 PM
    They should be fine if you have two (2) lines of solid bridging. Be sure that all the outside wall go to solid bearing(foundation) or support girder.

Chuck

Jul 9, 2013, 04:22 PM
    The main exterior walls all rest on the basement walls, but I was planning on a cantilever of 14 inches,

Jul 9, 2013, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    They should be fine if you have two (2) lines of solid bridging. Be sure that all the outside wall go to solid bearing(foundation) or support girder.

Chuck
    The main exterior walls all rest on the basement walls, but I was planning on a cantilever of 14 inches,
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2013, 06:41 PM
    Getting a permit? They should tell you what is needed. Currently this is rated for a ceiling joist at 10-20# live load, not a floor joist. Span tables for FLOOR joists at 2x8" @16"Centers /40#live load, even with the strongest Modulus of Elasticity are maxed at 12'10". If they are bedrooms ONLY you can use 30# live load. You might need to double up every other joist. Span Tables Tutorial

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2x8 floor joist [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new home and the floor joists are 2X8 and they are sistered and there is a bounce. There is hardwood on the floor when I'm sitting in a chair I can feel my 7 pound dog walk across the floor ( I can feel the vibration) Dosen't feel to strong Any suggestions

Joist size for 22 ft span [ 5 Answers ]

I am rebuilding on my carport slab. What size joist is needed (yellow pine) to span 22 ft from outer wall to interior wall? Then 10 ft from interior wall to back wall? Will consider using a conceiled beam or 2 to suspend joist if necessary. O.K. Knew I would forget to specify that this question...

Reinforcing attic floor w/ sister joices, 2X8's or 2X10's? [ 2 Answers ]

I am finishing my attic in a 100 year old house. They used 2 X 6's for the attic floor joices running 16 feet (the opposite way of the roof "joices"). Of course this is not strong enough for a floor. There is a lot of bounciness to it causing cracking ceiling plaster below. My question is can I...

View more questions Search