Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Coolhandluke31 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2013, 11:48 AM
    Figuring out electric service
    Hi- I am considering buy a house in CT- There is what I believe to be a 60 amp bus breaker and a 40 amp sub panel which I guess was installed when the previous owner installed central air. Can anyone look at this and tell me what I have here?

The insurance company wants to know what is in the house. In fact 2 companies said call them back when the bus breaker was upgraded. I know this set-up is not really adequate for the home of today, but I can't change it if I can buy it and I can't buy it if I can't insure.

I hope the pictures are helpful.
    Attached Images

jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jul 9, 2013, 03:12 PM
    Looking at your pictures the panel beside your meter is your main service. These old fuse box panels of this size are usually 60 amp services. Make sure things are off in the house and pull the upper left fuse block. It should have 2 60 amp fuses in it. This block usually says " MAIN" on it. The upper right fuse block is usuall used for things like a stove,dryer,water heater or in this case probably the sub panel.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2013, 07:11 PM
    You should contact the utility company, they will tell you the rated service feed. It appears to be only 60 Amp but if they fed the other service feed for the breaker box from the main lug, it could be 100 Amp. The open door does not allow us to see how it is connected. I can see at least 1 240 breaker or more and I don't think 60 would handle that. I also think your insurance company would not insure a 60 Amp service today, most require a minimum of 100 Amp.
    dayslug24 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Jul 9, 2013, 07:46 PM
    Have the current owner upgrade that mess as condition of sale.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2013, 09:10 PM
    I will agree, most insurance companies may have issues with this older of system, If I was buying the property, I would update this before I moved in.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 10, 2013, 10:59 AM
    Have the current owner upgrade that mess as condition of sale.
    Why should it be the seller's responsibility to upgrade the service? It is obviously OK for them now.

Insurance companies are a pain in the a$$. They demand certain things that are unreasonable or nearly impossible. This is one of the reasons so many folks put the irresponsible demand on sellers to do certain upgrades just to see a home. IMO this is extortion.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 10, 2013, 11:02 AM
    These old fuse box panels of this size are usually 60 amp services.
    Actually they are typically 100A services. Most lay folks think they are 60A because of the 60A lighting main fuses.
    Both pull-out cartridges are mains. So these panels have a 50 or 60A "Lighting Main" and a 40-60A "Range Main".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric service to out building [ 2 Answers ]

Garage/outbuilding is 100 ft from house service panel is 4 gage aluminium wire overkill for a garage door opener and 6 lights and 6 recepticals?

Electric Service [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a law in NJ that prohibites an electric company from turning off your service from a certain time to a certain time for non payment of a bill of $110.00? I know in other states they can't turn off electric service from Nov. to April 15.

Electric, amp service [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Mobile Home, 14X70, just moved it onto my property. It was equipped with gas service, no gas here. I installed an Electric furnace that has 2-60 amp breakers in it, I have 100amp service here. Works fine, breakers/wires not getting hot, should I upgrade to 200amps? Will the 100amp...

Electric Service New Construction [ 10 Answers ]

We are trying to decide whether to buy a larger than average lot (2.5 acres) in a subdivision and we're wondering what type of major expense we might be looking at in getting the electric service down to the building site. The building site is approximately 600 feet from the street with an...

New electric service [ 1 Answers ]

What size wire for a 400' run to a 200 amp service

View more questions Search