Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OkGirl1294 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2013, 11:13 AM
    Property Lien in Oklahoma
    A propery lien was placed on my mothers house about 2 years ago. In researching this, the amount of the lien is a combo of an unpaid credit card and repo'd car. Both through Wells Fargo about 3 years apart. Card obtained in 2003 (balance abour $2300.00)and car 2006 (balance about 9600.00). The collection company, out of Arkansas, combined the accounts and filed through court as credit card only. Is this legal?

Also, she is in the process of filing for Homestead Exemption, will this lien keep that from happening?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 9, 2013, 03:42 PM
    ... collection company, out of Arkansas, combined the accounts and filed through court as credit card only. Is this legal?.
    Can they sue her for two different debts in one lawsuit? Most probably. However if they are claiming the balance on the vehicle loan is a credit card debt, and it isn't, they would have to amend their complaint to make it correct. But what difference does it make in the long run?

... Also, she is in the process of filing for Homestead Exemption, will this lien keep that from happening?.
    No. Just because she files for a homestead exemption doesn't stop them from filing a lawsuit against her. However it might prevent them from executing on the home, if and when the get a judgment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2013, 10:01 PM
    I will ask, do they already have the lien, and already have a judgement, why did she not fight it then, I am not sure, if there is a lot she can do , two years after a lien is filed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

California, property lien on Homestead Property? [ 0 Answers ]

Can Collection agencies place a lien on Homestead properties when unpaid credit card debt is involved? The credit card in question is in my name only. I'm out of work, and my mother just died, but we were both on the deed as Joint Tenancy. When my parents purchased the property many years ago,...

A lien was placed against me on property I was renting it is an IRS lien and I have h [ 1 Answers ]

The IRS filed liens for my delinquent taxes on properties where I was only renting.I had no ownership in any of thses properties.Do the liens remain IRS and recorder of deeds blamed each other when I tried to have the liens removed

Oklahoma property inheritance for spouse and childre [ 2 Answers ]

If a parent dies and the surviving parent assumes all property while having two children but one is still a minor (13). Then the surviving parent re-marries and adds the new spouse's name to property. Later on in years the property is sold. What part of the deceased parents' property still...

Oklahoma property inheritance for spouse and children [ 1 Answers ]

If a father dies without a will and leaves a house and a small amount of money, does everything go to the wife or does his half go to their 6 adult children? If the wife sells the house after her husband has been dead 9 years, does she get all the proceeds or does she only get half and the 6...

Property lien with consent of property owner [ 4 Answers ]

May I put a lien on property, with the owners cooperation and what forms, process do I need? The lien would be to secure repayment of a loan to the property owner.

View more questions Search