Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ceecee_krush Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2013, 10:41 AM
    Bellybutton piercing
    Is it OK if I clean it with hydrogen peroxide ? I've been doing it for the past 6 days twice a day and it's just a little reddish with a little but of white clear stuff
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Jul 9, 2013, 03:59 PM
    Hydrogen Peroxide should be fine on it, how long ago was it pierced? If its new it could still be healing, if its an old piercing and you're having redness with discharge you may want to consult your physician as it could be infected.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 9, 2013, 05:10 PM
    Redness and puss (white stuff) indicates infection. New or old, infection isn't supposed to happen, and isn't normal. It needs to be treated properly, by a doctor.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 9, 2013, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar714 View Post
    Hydrogen Peroxide should be fine on it, how long ago was it pierced? If its new it could still be healing, if its an old piercing and you're having redness with discharge you may want to consult your physician as it could be infected.
    No, hydrogen peroxide is not okay. Only used once to clean a wound if nothing else is,available.

Start irriigating the area with a salt water solution, a clean wipe every time. The hydrogen peroxide has caused the problem.
    LittleHelper14 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2013, 08:14 PM
    My step-dad is a professional piercer, He says to NEVER use hydrogen peroxide. No it isn't infected or showing signs of infection. Redness and puss is usual for a piercing, but using that solution any longer could make it infected. I hope you like your piercing :D
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 9, 2013, 08:19 PM
    Piercings should be cleaned with antibacterial soap only.
    gabrielle333 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2013, 03:21 AM
    Redness and puffiness are signs of infection, and for bellybutton piercings hydrogen peroxide is not the way to go. A sea salt and warm water solution will clean your bellybutton. Mix sea salt with warm water in a cup and then suction the cup to your bellybutton until it goes cold. Do this twice a day until your bellybutton heals (traditionally 6-8 months.) Along the way you can slowly go to one cleansing a day, then every other day. Do not remove or change your piercing until then. Don't play with it either this will worsen the infection. If you see any worse signs or the infection does not slightly clear up after a week of sea salt mix contact your piercer and your doctor.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 1, 2013, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrielle333 View Post
    Redness and puffiness are signs of infection, and for bellybutton piercings hydrogen peroxide is not the way to go. A sea salt and warm water solution will clean your bellybutton. Mix sea salt with warm water in a cup and then suction the cup to your bellybutton until it goes cold. Do this twice a day until your bellybutton heals (traditionally 6-8 months.) Along the way you can slowly go to one cleansing a day, then every other day. Do not remove or change your piercing until then. Don't play with it either this will worsen the infection. If you see any worse signs or the infection does not slightly clear up after a week of sea salt mix contact your piercer and your doctor.
    Good advice. Gabrielle. Especially suctioning the glass to the piercing. That eliminates someone using the same swab or cloth twice, or thrice, transferring infection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bellybutton piercing [ 10 Answers ]

Hello! I really want to get my bellybutton pierced this fall, and am really excited to do so! My question is, does it hurt that bad? I mean, I cannot take pain, shots make me almost faint, but they don't even hurt, but I get myself so nervous! Has anyone here had their bellybutton pierced? Does...

Bellybutton piercing troubles [ 3 Answers ]

Im 15 years old and had my bellybutton pierced back in April. It didn't hurt and I took good care of it, but 5 months later it was weird looking and crusty so I went back to the place I got it pierced and I had to take it out cause it was migrating. Is it possible to get it repierced in a year or...

Bellybutton Piercing [ 1 Answers ]

I had my bellybutton pierced yesterday morning, and all today I've been laying on the couch and what not because I've been in pain. Not severe pain.. Just a ripping sensation around the holes. This morning, I woke up and I sanitized it and moved the ring around and that's when the pain began. It...

Is my bellybutton piercing OK? [ 11 Answers ]

I had my bellybutton pierced 5 days ago, and I kept playing with it for the first few days. I use savlon spray and cotton buds to clean it, that the boots staff recommended, is this OK? I clean it about 2-3 times a day. And today I took the top ball out to clean around the area, and it its slightly...

Bellybutton piercing? [ 5 Answers ]

What does it feel like to get your bellybutton pierced? And is it painful, or is it simply like getting your ears pierced? Thank's.

View more questions Search