Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hswallos Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2013, 09:20 AM
    Unsanitary conditions
    We live in a rent home and the sewer backed up on Sunday and I called the landlord twice with no response so we stayed the night with my in-laws, I called the landlord twice Monday with no response and had to stay the night with the in-laws again. Today is Tuesday and I called the landlord again with no answer so I called a plumber. We have only lived in the house for 5 days when this mess started, do we have the right to have her reimburse us for the plumber and deduct the two nights from our rent?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2013, 09:26 AM
    You need to send a certified letter telling him you are going to the magistrate over this if he doesn't resolve it. In the meantime, ask neighbors if they have the same problem and call the water department it could be their sewer system backing up.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2013, 09:26 AM
    It will depend on first what was the cause of the back up ? If something was flushed down by you, then normally now, So a report from the plumbing explaining what caused the blockage will be helpful

Also was things like this covered in the lease agreement ?

But I do not see deduction from rent, not calling a plumber for 2 days was your choice, also many people have to live in home for one day or so, waiting on plumbing to be repaird
    hswallos Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2013, 09:31 AM
    Not calling a plumber was not our choice when the landlord is responsible. The plumber pulled two dryer sheets out and we haven't even done laundry in the home. There is no rental/lease agreement and she specifically stated that repairs are her responsibility. If we had a working toilet we could have stayed in the home but four people with one bathroom and unable to use the toilet was not feasible to stay in the home.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2013, 10:01 AM
    Many towns also require the towns building inspector to do an inspection prior to any tenants moving in. You might want to look into that

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unsanitary work conditions in house [ 2 Answers ]

My question is I am to start working for a lady who is in her 80's she has a big home a dog and a cat no one lives there but her if I choose to work I will be paid by IHSS this lady has a long hallway you need to picture this in your mind while I tell you this she has food in TV dinner trayes bowls...

Pregnancy and other conditions [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question about my sister who is pregnant in Ireland. She is 38 weeks pregnant, she is suffering from really bad hemorrhoids, which they were even going to operate on and decided not to and pushed some back inside. She has diabetes from being pregnant and has to take insulin, her platelet...

Renting unsanitary house [ 5 Answers ]

HI, I am renting a tree house in the Hollywood Hills in L.A and there are rats at night in the garden that made they way into the wall of the house. Basically the house is build against the hill so there is a concrete wall against the hill side, then the pipes and the wooden wall of the inside of...

Unsanitary house should I pay rent [ 2 Answers ]

I rent a room from my boyfreinds cousin. Since I've moved in I had to clean up all their mess and I'm sick of it last month the bathroom ceiling fell and I had to clean the unsanitary water that fell from upstairs toilet. I cannot go to the landlord because they never told them I was living there...

Unsanitary [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, My roommate is my landlord (she owns the house) and basically we get along well. However, on several occasions one of her dogs vomited profoundly in the house and I cleaned it up because she either wasn't there or as she put it, it was on my side of the house. The other day her dog...

View more questions Search