Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nspilotros Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2013, 06:48 PM
    In Illinois, does a landlord have to change the locks when a new tenant moves in?
    I just moved into a new rental home. The locks were not changed. My landlord hired someone to fix my bathroom. 4 days later, my house was burglarized. No forced entry, someone walked right through my front door. I found out afterwards that this man had keys to the house, and lives 4 blocks away. I didn't have anyone in my new place other than my parents, only the TWO safes I had were stolen, nothing else was touched. Police said it was someone who knew I had TWO safes in unit. This repair man was drinking on the job, took my alcohol from my fridge without permission, and used MY dry wall to finish the bathroom with out permission. I have several other reasons to suspect this man. I'm 99% sure this is who burglarized me, but no exact proof yet for the police. Please help to educate me of any rights I have as a tenant regarding the repair man and the issuance of the keys, thank you!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2013, 07:04 PM
    They don't HAVE to do it... but it's the smart thing to do ( it however isn't cheap with a house with multiple entry doors)... you could offer to pay to have new locks put in at your expense.. but you would legally be required to give the landlord a set of the keys. And it would have to be with the landlords knowledge and authorization.

Incidentally.. there are lots of ways into a locked house without having keys... and that's without picking the locks. I've had to do it a few times when I locked myself out accidentally at a few places over the years.

How did you find out a previous tenant still has keys.. Or was that a theory..

Be careful tossing around accusations you can't prove... it could backfire on you. Its called slander.
    nspilotros Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2013, 07:15 PM
    Thank you very much for your response. Well, after the burglary (I wish I had asked sooner!) my landlord told me the previous tenant and the repair man had keys to the house.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2013, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nspilotros View Post
    Thank you very much for your response. Well, after the burglary (I wish I had asked sooner!) my landlord told me the previous tenant and the repair man had keys to the house.
    Odd the previous tenant kept a set he knew about and did nothing... but if the Landlord has a repairman that does all of their properties ( I assume they have more than this one house).. then its not unusual for them to have keys. If it's their only rental property, then it might be a bit unusual.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a landlord in the state of Texas need to change locks when you move in? [ 3 Answers ]

In the state of Texas does a landlord have to change the locks before a new tenant moves in?

CA Civil code 1946.5, landlord/owner v. Tenant/lodger: When may I change the locks? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello; I own my home, and allowed a person I thought to be a friend to stay in my home, 'paying' for his 'rent' by doing work on the house. (I'd inherited it from my mother, and it needed work.) This person did some work, but I had to compel him to do things, dragging him away from playing...

Does a landlord have to change the locks before he rents to new tenant? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved into an apt. about 2 weeks ago. Last night I could tell that someone had been in my apartment. When I asked my landlord if he had been there, he said NO, but that someone who used to rent the apartment had come back and not realized that the apartment was rented out to someone else. ...

Landlord wants to cancel lease before tenant moves in [ 1 Answers ]

My friend has singed a one year lease in Florida to rent their home to someone because she had to move in with her sick mom. Her mom who seems to be suffering from mental illness does not want her daughter in the home any longer. She hired a full time nurse and now needs to get out of the house...

Can a landlord just change the locks? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Massachusetts and have a sticky situation and hope someone can help. We moved into a house on Nov 27 2007 and both myself and wife signed a lease with a stipulation in writing that in 6 months (it was a 6 month lease) the house would be put up for sale. The landlord said he would make a...

View more questions Search