Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    solidrock Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2013, 05:57 PM
    My parents are divorced
    I'm 12 years old and my parents are divorced. I live with three brothers and my mom. I really want to live with my dad. If I tell my mom it's going to break her heart. I love both of them greatly, but if I lived with my dad I wouldn't have to put up with my brothers. I need help, please.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2013, 06:11 PM
    First you need to find if they have a custody order saying you have to live with your mother.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2013, 06:11 PM
    At 12 you really don't get to make that choice if there is a custody order... unless both of your parents agree with it. And even then its not that simple because of child support and other legal obligations. Which means lawyers.. and that means lots of money. Going to court and time.
    solidrock Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2013, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    First you need to find if they have a custody order saying you have to live with your mother.
    She does
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2013, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by solidrock View Post
    she does
    That means Dad has to send mom a big check every month to help raise you... and only the court changing the custody order will change that. If he has to raise you his-self. Because he would still be obligated to send that check to mom otherwise...
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 9, 2013, 01:16 AM
    Have you ever talked about this with your dad? I assume he works all day - would he give you a key and let you be home alone? Would you shop for groceries, cook, clean, and do laundry, and how would you get anywhere to shop? Could you get anywhere you want to go, besides school, without someone to drive you? Are you aware that a parent has a legal obligation for anything you do, whether it's set fire to the house or get in trouble around town, or injure yourself while home alone?
    These are just a few of the questions that 99% of 12 year olds don't think of.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2013, 01:21 AM
    Your mom would have to agree, and dad would have to go to court, file and get both custody agreement and support agreement changed.

Also the court has to believe it is in your best interest, what you want really does not matter to court

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Parents divorced [ 8 Answers ]

My mom is divorced I was really disturbed! 2 years back my mom really liked this guy my mom is 35 and the guy is 28. For 2 years this guy was lovely he made me smile everyday! And one day I found out he has gotten engaged! And I always thought he is going to put a happily ever after in my story!!...

My Parents Got Divorced? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, You See My Parents Got Divorced a little bit a go And I Barely Get 2 See My Dad :( , But That's Not The Problem My Moms got a boyfriend She Met On A Website Called singlesnet.com So She Hasn't Met Him But Her Attitude Has Changed Soooo Much & It Feels Like She doesn't Love Me Any More :'( She...

My parents are getting divorced, what do I do? [ 35 Answers ]

Hi, First let me apologize if this is too long or annoying, I just really need help. To sum this up my parents have been married for about 20 years now. I am their oldest child (male, 16) and there's my little sister (14). My dad went on holiday for about 2 weeks and came back 2 days ago. He...

Divorced/non-divorced parents college tuition responsibilities in Indiana [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Indiana. I have a friend who is divorced. It is in his divorce documents to share in paying for his children's college education, but it is in there because his lawyer told him there is a state law in Indiana that requires parents (divorced and non-divorced) to pay for their children's...

Divorced Parents [ 8 Answers ]

I am 15, turning 16 in October. My parents have been divorced since I can remember. I visit my dad every other weekend. My question is when I turn 16, I plan to go to more parties and such because I can drive. How do I separate from the dad? On those weekeds I would rather do other things, it...

View more questions Search