Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scuba123 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2013, 02:05 PM
    Is there any way to repair a cracked stack pipe without tearing out the floor, wall
    I have a crack in my stack pipe in my 2nd floor bathroom. Do I need to tear out the floor, wall and ceiling to repair it?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2013, 02:19 PM
    What is the material, how long is crack? Can you get to it?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 9, 2013, 12:13 AM
    Yes, tell us what the pipe is made of. Is it plastic or cast iron? Is the cracksin a vertical or a horizontal pipe? A more detailed to give us? Back to you, Tom

Jul 9, 2013, 11:17 AM
    It is cast iron. I casnnot see the crack. It is between the basement and the 2nd floor
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2013, 12:47 PM
    Tell us what the issue is. If you can see the first floor drains and no leaks, it is going to be between the first and second floor. Unfortunately we can't see where the pipes run so to answer your initial question, Yes it is possible you will need to open walls, floor or ceiling. However, if you can give us more info, we may be able to narrow it down. Somewhere in a wall or closet space will be a pipe chase.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 9, 2013, 02:21 PM
    Yeah, need to locate the leak before we can tell you what is involved in repairing it, right? To determine exactly where the crack/leak occurs in the pipe you will probably need to open up the wall high up and low down and use tissue paper wrapped around the pipe to locate the leak (make sense? ).

Start there and post back when you know more.

Mark

Jul 9, 2013, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Yeah, need to locate the leak before we can tell you what is involved in repairing it, right? To determine exactly where the crack/leak occurs in the pipe you will probably need to open up the wall high up and low down and use tissue paper wrapped around the pipe to locate the leak (make sense??).

Start there and post back when you know more.

Mark
    Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 9, 2013, 04:40 PM
    the crack. It is between the basement and the 2nd floor
    The only option that I can see is to open up a wall and bear the crack.. tell us the length and width of the crack. Until we know more we can't be much help. Back to you, Tom

Jul 20, 2013, 04:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    The only option that I can see is to open up a wall and bear the crack.. tell us the length and width of the crack. Until we know more we can't be much help. Back to you, Tom
    Hi Tom. Well, checked iwith a plumer. Wanted $3000.00 plus to do the job. Cannot afford this. Talked with my son. He thought he could tackle it. He located the pipe that angled up rhe livingroom wall there was a 3/4" hole at the bend. followed up the vertical pipe going up the livingroom wall, there were 2 different cracks in that pipe. Had to remove a 8foot section using that pipe cutter which was very difficult . On one side was the side wall and a stud on the other side. " That thing is so HEAVY. Replaced it with a 4' PVA pipe. Of course everything that could go wrong in a 100 plus house happened. All together it cost $140.00. He said I make a good plumers helper. Thanks for your thougts and ideas.

Jul 21, 2013, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba123 View Post
    Hi Tom. Well, checked iwith a plumer. Wanted $3000.00 plus to do the job. Cannot afford this. Talked with my son. He thought he could tackle it. He located the pipe that angled up rhe livingroom wall there was a 3/4" hole at the bend. followed up the vertical pipe going up the livingroom wall, there were 2 different cracks in that pipe. Had to remove a 8foot section using that pipe cutter which was very difficult . On one side was the side wall and a stud on the other side. " That thing is so HEAVY. Replaced it with a 4' PVA pipe. Of course everything that could go wrong in a 100 plus house happened. All together it cost $140.00. He said I make a good plumers helper. Thanks for your thougts and ideas.
    It is so nice to have no leak in my basement anymore
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 21, 2013, 08:57 AM
    That thing is so HEAVY.
    Yes it is.

Replaced it with a 4' PVA pipe.
    Presumably you mean PVC.

What did you do about supporting the HEAVY pipe above the PVC?

Jul 21, 2013, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Yes it is.

Presumably you mean PVC.

What did you do about supporting the HEAVY pipe above the PVC?
    My son had to remove the stack from the basement to the secend floor. He cut it off with a cutter and replaced it with PVC pipe. The stack was cast iron and had 2 cracks and a 2/4' hole at the bend. I helped hold it while he cut it off. The cutter was very heavy.

Jul 21, 2013, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba123 View Post
    My son had to remove the stack from the basement to the secend floor. He cut it off with a cutter and replaced it with PVC pipe. The stack was cast iron and had 2 cracks and a 2/4' hole at the bend. I helped hold it while he cut it off. The cutter was very heavy.
    We finished in 9 hours.

Jul 21, 2013, 12:41 PM
    It is done

Jul 21, 2013, 12:42 PM
    My son and I did the job.

Jul 21, 2013, 12:43 PM
    It is finished.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 21, 2013, 02:12 PM
    Did you run PVC through the roof?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extra long pipe run to 2nd floor toilet from stack? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, Just wondering if my contractor can run a 30' line from my new toilet on the 2nd floor to the stack? I have web joists.. so should work keeping in with 1/4''.. my question is he's struggling with how that would look.. is there any plumbing codes in mn we need to worry about? Thanks!

Joint in main sewer stack is cracked, pvc pipe [ 6 Answers ]

In basement where all drains connect to the main drain to sewer the connection joint is cracked where one of the drains from a toilet enters th stack What has to be done to repair this, thank you

Concrete shower floor repair (cracked, leaking & painted) [ 1 Answers ]

I am updating my rough basement bathroom. I have two very young children, a boy and a girl and funds are very limited especially around this time of year. (My daughter is only nine-months and I am already thinking about the bathroom issues between her and my son). The shower has a painted concrete...

Cracked/Crumbled tub drain pipe, best way to repair. [ 6 Answers ]

House built in the 50's, and the original drain pipe from the 1st floor tub extends about 12" down into the garage below. This pipe has cracked/crumbled right at the elbow (has a small bend that looks like a 5" trap) before running horizontal with the garage ceiling. What is the best way to fix...

View more questions Search