Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lula Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 10:48 AM
    2 1/2yr old child w/ viral encephlitis
    My 21/2 year old son was diagnosed with viral encephalitis just after turning 2 which has now left him neurologically devastated. The virus was never found and it is not a metabolic disorder. He also has seizures. He has about 20 subclinical daily. MRI shows some degradation of brain tissue across the entire cerebral cortex. Is there anything out there that can help bring him back? He's on a ketogenic diet. He also takes Keppra, Topamax, phenobarb, pentabarb, valium, zantac, omeprazole and bicitra.

Thanks
    avataress Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Dear Lula,

I'm sorry to hear of what sounds like a devastating problem for your family and your young son! You might want to try Dr. Mark Hyman at www.drhyman.com I'm not sure that that's his correct website, but if it turns out not to be send me a private message and I will look it up to be sure. He treats disease using genetic markers and other alternative therapies. He's quite pricey, though: I don't think he accepts insurance, and I believe his first diagnostic visit is $700.00, although all of that is on his website. I can understand why he might want to charge so much because he probably has a lot of people who want to see him; supply and demand, you know, has its effects on everything, including healthcare!

You might also want to try "The Analyst;" put those words into Google and you'll see a website with health info on it (as well as several others; you'll know which one to choose.) These are naturopathic/alternative medicine choices. I hope they work for you, and I hope you will post here again to tell us how your son is coming along if any of these, or any other therapies, help him. Cheers!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 26, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Lula, I too am sorry you are having to go through this. It must be really tough on you. I would like to help with the meds though. If possible, could you give me the dosage on each med?

The Keppra is an anticonvulsant, but is contraindicated in children;

Topamax also an anticonvulsant, but is contraindicated in children under 6, but is being investigated for use in infantile spasm;

Phenobarbitol is another anticonvulsant and is used for children in certain dosages depending on weight;

Pentobarbitol is yet another anticonvulsant (but can be used as a sedative among other things) that is used for children in certaing dosages depending on weight;

Valium used for the following: anti-anxiety, anticonvulsant, and skeletal muscle relaxant, it can be used in children but has a reputation for dependence in long term use;

Zantac is used for GERD or acid reflux that is used for children;

Omeprazol is similar to the Zantac, but my text does not state that it is used in children;

However, my text did not have bicitra listed.

FYI, my "text" is the 2007 Mosby's Nursing Drug Reference that we use in the hospital.

It is my opinion, and opinion ONLY, that your son may be over-medicated on anti-convulsants. Have you gone for a second opinion? If not, I believe it may be necessary.
    sunnynparadise Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lula
    my 21/2 year old son was diagnosed with viral encephalitis just after turning 2 which has now left him neurologically devastated. The virus was never found and it is not a metabolic disorder. He also has seizures. He has about 20 subclinical daily. MRI shows some degradation of brain tissue across the entire cerebral cortex. Is there anything out there that can help bring him back? He's on a ketogenic diet. He also takes Keppra, Topamax, phenobarb, pentabarb, valium, zantac, omeprazole and bicitra.

thanks
    This must be so devastating. Fortunately your son is young and the capacity of the body to heal is amazing. I would give him high nutrition, lots of fish oil and protein and check with alternative health practitioner that is highly qualified. We are always told that nerve tissue does not heal but that is not what we always see particularly in the young.
    Prayers to you. Sunny

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

Child tax credit :child on H-4 came August 2006 , [ 1 Answers ]

Hi atlanta tax guru I am on h-1 ( entered in June 2006) wife & son entered ( on h-4) August 2006 I am filing as resident alien as I passed test, Wife & son entered 19th August 2006 , are they pass test after 6 months Is it valid to call them resident alien after 19 feb 2007 ? And will...

I want full custody of my 2yr old niece [ 1 Answers ]

My sister is in jail and she agreed to sign the papers for full custody, but I'm not sure which ones I need. I have temp. custody of my niece right now and I've had the baby off and on since she was 3mos. Old. Every time my sister feels like playing momma she comes and takes her from me and with...

Future Step-daughter Insists on Bringing 2yr old [ 10 Answers ]

I would really like people's opinion on this... I am getting married soon to a man with a 2 yr. old grandson. We are not inviting children to the wedding, which will be in th evening & held in a historic home. My fiancé called his daughter, who must travel from out of town, to discuss our...

View more questions Search