Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    domaguin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2013, 06:20 AM
    What size wooden beam is needed for a 15 foot span?
    I am remodeling my kitchen & patio. There was a sliding glass door and Kitchen window I removed to open the kitchen to the enclosed patio. Currently, there is a
    9 1/2 inch beam that is 15 foot long with a 4x4 post at 8 ft 51/2 inches. Does this
    beam need to be changed to take out the 4x4 post? What size beam is needed to meet code for that 15 foot opening without a post.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2013, 09:33 AM
    The beam is larger enough for a 15' opening.

This is a structural change and should be approved by the building department in your area. They may require an engineers drawing.

If on a gable end of house there is less weight on header because of rafters not being above.

Chuck
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2013, 09:39 AM
    Describe the "beam", is it two 2X10's with a plywood spacer between the 2Xs?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What size beam do I need to clear span 30 ft and support a live load floor? [ 7 Answers ]

I am putting a storage loft in a shop/garage 30 wide by 36 feet long. The loft will be 12 feet by 30 feet across one end of the shop. I want work space under this loft so I am looking for a clear span, wall to wall of 30 feet. This beam will have to support a live load floor above it. Should the...

What size laminated beam do I need to span 20' for my basement beam? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a one story ranch and want to eliminate the columns in a section of my basement. The beam will need to support the 2x8 floor joists which are 12' 6" from column to wall. What size beam will I need?

What size I beam do I need to span 24 feet [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a garage with storage trusses. The garage is 24' x24' I was wondering what size center support beam I need to use?

What size lam beam header is needed to clear span a 30 feet? [ 2 Answers ]

The beam is needed in a 30x40 garage. We are using trusses that are speced to clear span 40 feet but want the extra support in the center.

Beam span [ 2 Answers ]

What is the usual span for two 2x8 nailed side by side. Im building a new deck 24' x 24' I don't know if I need this much support (2x8) nailed side by sdie

View more questions Search