Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 2, 2005, 06:32 AM
    Firefox and Mozilla
    Might be a simple answer to this?
    Currently I am using Firefox as my web browser,but I have also downloaded Mozilla 1.8a6,which is a 'latest' version of 'that' browser.Having visited the Mozilla web site many times,and read all the technical specs,so called 'bug' problems,and generally read up on the fact that you can 'shape' the code to suit yourself,is this the difference?

I know you can't 'mess' with Firefox.At the moment it is version 1.0.Version 1.1 was due out in March,but a few Firefox 'experts' have gone to work for Google.But that's another story.

What I am wondering,does anyone know what the difference is 'under-the-hood' so to speak.Is it 'anyone can have a go',as opposed to technical 'paid' staff?

My install of Mozilla 1.8a6 is a full download,with mail attachment,composer,address book,etc.Am I missing something here. :confused:

Cheers,
    Nez.

As a footnote,it is still supposed to be 'buggy',but so far all is well.I am currently viewing this site with 1.8a6 as a 'test'.However,this is just me being curious.I would still recommend everyone to use Firefox.Especially over you-know-what!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2005, 08:41 AM
    Hi Nez,

It is my understanding that the full Mozilla package comes with everything you mentioned including some annoying AOL related nags. Also it includes AIM which may be hard for the average user to stop loading every time if they do not IM. But I hear that the customization is slightly ahead of Firefox.

In my opinion Firefox is for people who want just a "tight", light browser without other added programs. I use it exclusively at home except for Windows Updates and Outlook Web Access where IE is a necessary evil.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Feb 2, 2005, 10:43 AM
    Firefox was started to "clean up" the Mozilla Suite (seamonkey) codebase. The Suite contained quite a few applications (browser, mail client, etc), and was quite resource-intensive. Some believed the interface was too cluttered.

Although Firefox and thunderbird have gained a lot of strength, the Mozilla Suite continues to undergo active development.

Testing builds for both the mozilla suite and Firefox are released a few times a week, and you can always download the bleeding-edge sources from CVS and compile them yourself... These are, as they say, testing builds, so they are meant to be used for testing, not "production work."

From their website:
    Nightly Builds

Created most weekdays from the previous day's work, these builds may or may not work. Use them to verify that a bug you're tracking has been fixed.

We make nightly builds for testing only. We write code and post the results right away so people like you can join our testing process and report bugs. You will find bugs, and lots of them. Mozilla might crash on startup. It might delete all your files and cause your computer to burst into flames. Don't bother downloading nightly builds if you're unwilling to put up with problems.

You can get the "bleeding edge" Firefox here.

:)
    ~psi42

Feb 2, 2005, 11:26 AM
    Firefox and Mozilla
    Thanks for the interest on this one.As a side note,Firefox 2.0 is in the pipeline.Honest :D

Will continue to use Firefox 1.0 as my main browser,but I'm one of those 'itchy' souls that can't help getting their hands dirty.Will continue to mess with 'sea monkeys', probably till my PC bursts into flames!

So far,I've seen no nagging AOL intrutions yet.Might just be lucky I guess.But there's always tomorrow!

I wonder if Bill is interested in a brand 'new' browser I'm messing with?

All the best,
    Nez. :)

Postscript:

In my original question,I mentioned that staff had left the Firefox development,and gone to work for Google.Well folks,for those interested,or not,I've found out who they are!

They are,Ben Goodger,and Darin Fisher,both from Mozilla,and Rob Pike from Bell Labs.

Google have also bought the domain 'gbrowser.com'.

Speculation has it that a Google browser and Google OS may be coming to a retail outlet near you in the near future?

( Info via Slashdot.org)

Feb 15, 2005, 08:23 AM
    Further Update
    Further to my previous offering,over at Silicon.com,today,Feb 15th,I read that there is discussion taking place between search engine Ask Jeeves,and the Mozilla Foundation,about a joint venture involving an Ask Jeeves-Firefox web browser.

As a lot of us already know,some of the Mozilla people do 'voluntary' work for Google,and I was wondering if this was pay back time? :D

Just noticed,via CNet.com,that Internet Explorer 7.0 will ship before Longhorn.Apparently even Bill is finally admiting what all us Firefox users have been saying for ages,IE 6.0 is crap!

Also,Microsoft have announced that XP will get a Service Pack 3.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ie doesn't work, but mozilla does [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem with internet explorer (ver. 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158). The problem is that I can’t view any site. They work fine with mozilla (ver. 1.0.6) but not with IE. It does not seem to do the DNS correctly. I have a cable modem with DHCP for IP address and static DNS. I...

Known Vulnerabilities in Mozilla Products [ 1 Answers ]

Just thought I'd put this link here,for those of us that use Mozilla software:Firefox,Mozilla browsers etc.I know this is'nt a question,but in the interests of safe browsing,and especially for anyone who wants to link quickly,and see what (if any) security updates are needed: ...

Mozilla Firefox [ 2 Answers ]

I enjoy using Mozilla Firefox. However one problem I have is in using the search engines. There is a history of previously entered queries. This would not be a problem, but my stepson entered some inappropriate queries. These pop up when ever I type a word that begins with the same letter as the...

View more questions Search