Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    renedavid2000 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2013, 10:57 AM
    If I have legal custody of my niece's child and she gets them back
    I want to know what the chance are my niece can get her children back if the court has given my husband and myself full and phyical custody we have had them a year now .
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 11:03 AM
    How hard is she trying? Is she just talking about wanting them back? Is she taking you to court? Doing the things they tell her she needs to do to satisfy getting them back?

Jul 5, 2013, 11:11 AM
    The Dept. of Social Services gave us full and physical custody in July of last year because they had removed the children after they had been on her case for a year and she had stopped her treatment plan at the place they sent her and went to a plan at the methadon clinic. She now has a 20 hour a week job and has just in rolled in parent classes.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 5, 2013, 11:15 AM
    It depends on the terms of the custody. If she was given a list of things she has to do to get the children back, its possible. You need to talk to the caseworker about this.

There are many other factors like the age of the children.

But taken children away from a parent is a fairly drastic step. So she will have to really prove she is capable before they will return the children

Jul 5, 2013, 11:23 AM
    The children are now 3 and 5 her and the father both have other children of which they do not have custody of one of the fathers children has already be adopted. We where told we could adopt both of the children after we were given custody for 6 months. Both parents have to complete the approved drug treatment and get a suitable home free of bugs and rats. They are not both working in the legal way the father worksn under the table so he doesn't pay his child support I also know they are still using some drugs other than what they get at the clinic
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 11:25 AM
    So the State gave you custody and said the road is clear for you to adopt the children?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 5, 2013, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by renedavid2000 View Post
    We where told we could adopt both of the children after we were given custody for 6 months.
    So have you applied for adoption? If so, what happened with that.

As for what you know, its not what you know but what you can prove. I'm suspect they are undergoing drug testing or will have to before they can even think about getting the children back.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 11:56 AM
    Since its been already a year and it doesn't sound like they have meet or are even working on satisfying the courts terms you have a good chance. The longer they take getting it together the more the court looks at it like they aren't really trying and it's a bad reflection on them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to adopt my niece and already have legal custody I live in Florida [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Florida I have legal custody of my niece through an attorney and I would like to know how I could adopt her without going through another attorney.. any help?

What Do I Need To Do To Gain Legal/Full Custody Of My Niece? [ 4 Answers ]

My niece's s one year old daughter was place with me by the Dept of Social Services in 2007, for 11 months for safety reasons. We loved her and provided comfort and care for my beautiful niece, but before the year was up, my niece's older sister insisted that she wanted to take her then 2 year old...

He has legal custody< I have the child [ 0 Answers ]

I have physical custody of my son his dad had legal custody. He filed to avoid paying child support. He has never had the child. He has no contact with his son, he pays nothing and he never even calls. I want him to pay or be locked up. Can I file child abandonedment charges?

Uncle and Aunt want legal custody of niece [ 2 Answers ]

My 14 year old grandaughter has been living with my son and daughter-in-law in Florida for the past 4 months. (she lived with me for the 2 months proceeding that) both her mother and father signed papers (not through a court) giving my son guardianship. He is in the Navy and wants to get her on...

CHILD CUSTODY ( niece and nephew ) [ 3 Answers ]

I have a niece and a nephew. I had custody of them and let the grandmother have them because she had the oldest sister. Now I find out she is abuseing the children and the oldest who is 15 is pregrant. I want the kids back. What is the chances of getting them back? I live in Alabama ( the children...

View more questions Search