Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Jul 5, 2013, 08:53 AM
    Getting a tenant out of a house
    I'm writing for a friend. She has a tiny house three hours away and has rented it to someone for the past four years. Now she wants to fix it up (it has leaks, etc) and use the house for herself as a once in while getaway.
    She emailed him and gave him 3 months to move. He's very angry. She's afraid he'll do something to the house or won't move. Do you suggest a lawyer?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 5, 2013, 08:58 AM
    As for not moving, she can move to evict him once the 3 months is up (I would suggest she follow up the e-mail with a written letter).

As for damage, does she have a deposit? Does she know where he works or banks? If he does do damage, then she can apply the deposit towards the damages and sue for anything not covered.

She may not need an attorney, but she should hire a real estate agent in the area to check on the house.

Jul 5, 2013, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    As for not moving, she can move to evict him once the 3 months is up (I would suggest she follow up the e-mail with a written letter).

As for damage, does she have a deposit? Does she know where he works or banks? If he does do damage, then she can apply the deposit towards the damages and sue for anything not covered.

She may not need an attorney, but she should hire a real estate agent in the area to check on the house.
    Thank you for your input. The tenant has his own little business (cuts down trees) There's no deposit but she should do a follow-up email and letter. Re real estate agent, she doesn't want to sell the house, just fix it up so it's available.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 5, 2013, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammy23 View Post
    Re real estate agent, she doesn't want to sell the house, just fix it up so it's available.
    I know that. Real estate agents can also manage properties for absentee owners.

Jul 5, 2013, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I know that. Real estate agents can also manage properties for absentee owners.
    Really... I will make sure she knows that Scott... you've been so helpful through the years and in so many areas. I truly thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be a tenant in my son's house? [ 2 Answers ]

I own my house with a very little balance left on my mortgage. I want to sell my house in a very legal way to my son. Can I continue to stay in the house as a tenant by paying reasonable rent and he gets all the benefits from that property as an investment property - getting deduction for all the...

Tenant not evacuating my house [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a house in Chennai, India which I have rented out to a tenant. Now the lease has expired for almost 5 months and the tenant refuses to vacate the house. Instead, he is threatening my family of his having political contacts. Please advice me how can I get this tenant to vacate my...

Tenant in a foreclosed house in FL. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a tenant in a house going through the foreclosure process... it began in March 2008. I spoke with an attorney and was advised not to pay my rent to the landlord, but to pay to the mortgage company... we tried getting in touch with the mortgage company, but they would not work with us because...

Tenant doesn't let me in my house [ 2 Answers ]

Tenant had a lease but it expired 1 year ago. He pays monthly rent. He told me verbally that he was leaving the house the 9th of next month. When I went to the house to see if there were any damages, his father did not let me in. He said that since they had paid this months rent that they were the...

Tenant built on to my house [ 2 Answers ]

What is the name of your state? OK My brother-in-law has been living in our modular home for two yrs with no rental/lease agreement, just paying us monthly. While we were out of state on a job, he built an overhanging porch onto the front of the home. He is now mad, moving out and wants to take...

View more questions Search