Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LTB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 08:52 AM
    Rotten Egg Smell
    I lived in a brand new home, on city water for one year and everything was fine. We moved out and the house is now empty and up for sale. It has been empty for five months. Sometime during these five months a rotten egg smell has developed when the water is turned on. At first we thought it was the water evaporating out of the traps, and we would periodically run all faucets, flush toilets, run baths, etc. But the odor is definitely from the water. We went to the local water company and they said that 99% of the time something like this is from a faulty hot water heater. The hot water heater is only 1 year old. And the odor exists with hot and cold water. Help! Does anyone have any suggestions?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 25, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Are you certain that the odor is from BOTH hot and cold, (draw a pan of each and let it set awhile). This could be a anode rod in the water heater but if that were so only the hot water would be affected. Otherwise, the water line could have bacterial growth in them. Do the pan thingy and get back to me. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stinky Rotten Egg Hot Water [ 18 Answers ]

I know several questions have been posted on this topic, but here is my situation and I am hoping someone will have a few words of wisdom. My home is 2 yrs old and I am on well water-very hard well water. I had no problems with taste, smell etc. except the hard water spots until now. In Feb....

Don't know where rotten smell from [ 5 Answers ]

My master bedroom (bathroom?) has this rotten smell that I can't trace to anything. We have a septic tank but all the other bathrooms are fine. I checked the attic and found no dead animal or anything. The smell is sometimes strong sometimes weak. It is not obvious that the smell is from a...

Rotton Egg Smell [ 9 Answers ]

We recently bought our home. We have only been living in it for about 2 - 3 months now. It had been vacant for about 7 months prior to that. When we looked at the house (which we did several times before purchasing, there was NO SMELL - except the usual empty house smell. We had a very...

Rotten egg smell from cold water [ 1 Answers ]

We have a new house with a new well and get a rotten egg smell periodically from some of the cold water faucets. The contractor found there wasn't a cap on a vent pipe that is located under the kitchen sink and replaced it (I don't see pipes coming through the roof only the one under the kitchen...

Rotten-egg / sewage smell in home [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I've been experiencing a rotten-egg / sewage smell in my home. It occurs mainly in the summertime but it is not constant. The smell seems to be stirred up by two simultaneous events: (1) running water down the kitchen sink, and (2) the central air-conditioning kicking on. It is...

View more questions Search