Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    0barry0 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2013, 03:52 AM
    Rental question
    Similar question. My years lease is up in two months.I gave them my 60 day notice and they want it in writing. If I change my mind one week before my lease is up, do I have to move or can I ask for another years lease...
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 3, 2013, 04:46 AM
    Tenant law goes by state. 'Similar question' isn't meaningful to us because we don't know what post you are referring to.
    Generally you cannot change your mind (especially at the last week)! Of course the first thing you do is ask your landlord if they have rented your place to someone else, and if not, will they let you sign a new lease.
    If you are trying to play this both ways as you make it sound, giving notice while wanting to wait until the last week, then you need a dose of reality. And yes, you give notice in writing. All tenant-landlord communications should be in writing. Oral agreements rarely hold up in court because of all the problems that are so common.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 3, 2013, 06:25 AM
    If you change your mind nearly at the last minute, it would be up to the landlord.

They can either let you stay on a month-to-month basis or, if they want, allow you to sign a new lease including whatever terms they like.

And, as Joypulv has indicated, giving a 60-day notice really means nothing unless it is in writing. If you think you "gave" them the required notice orally, you are mistaken.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2013, 06:33 AM
    Your 60 days does not start until you give it to them in writing unless otherwise agreed and then they can say they never agreed to that. Also what I have seen done (not sure how 'legal' it is in court) but by not signing the lease and telling the landlord you want month to month because you are looking for a place to move you might be able to buy time, but not all landlords will go for that, especially if its an apartment complex of some type.
    0doug0 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2013, 06:03 PM
    Thank you very much. After being armed with this information the complex said that they had forgotten to reveal this information and said they would drop the rent increase another ten dollars a month but also informed me that not all apt. were being raised the same amount.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rental income accounting question [ 1 Answers ]

I own a rental house used by students. They pay rent plus utilities. I pay the utilities and collect from them. On my taxes, I've been accounting for everything they pay me as income and then I expense what I paid for the utilities. Is this okay or should I just be counting the rent only as income...

Accountant question about rental property [ 0 Answers ]

I own 3 rental homes soon to have 4. I manage all the homes myself. I also have a business license that is inactive (showing no income currently). I'm filling out my taxes and there is a question about a management company (I'm assuming how much there are being paid for manageing my homes). My...

Rental Agreement Question (CA) [ 1 Answers ]

I will be purchasing property in CA, my Fiancé and I will be living at the property. His daughter will more than likely be living in one of the bedrooms. My question is, should I have her sign a rental agreement for my safety because I have been informed that she plans to move someone in (her...

Florida Rental Lease Question [ 3 Answers ]

I haven't renewed my lease in over two years, did it automatically revert to a month to month lease? Can I give a 30 day notice and end it without "breaking" the lease ?

Commercial rental question [ 2 Answers ]

If I rented a commercial place for business and the circuit box is no where to be found is that legal?

View more questions Search