Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mango2013 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2013, 02:55 PM
    Should I file for chap 7 to avoid a lien in my homestead in fl?
    I lost a case with the HOA and the attorney is requesting the court attorneys fees? I don't have a job, a car, I was advised that since is my only home and place of residence on which I owe more than its worth, is appraised at same amount of homestead exemption amount $25.000. Shoul I still need to file Chap 7, as I was suggested?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 2, 2013, 03:23 PM
    Registered homesteads are exempt from liens in Florida. Only the IRS can go after your property. It's only worth 25K?
    mango2013 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2013, 03:32 PM
    Thank you, the property was 55k when I purchased it, and today is only appraissed at 25K, is very nice, but I still owe the bank 44K. But I had heard that in FL they can place a lien on the homestead property but can't force you to sell, are you sure they can't place a lien?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 2, 2013, 03:41 PM
    FLORIDA HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION | Ronald S. Webster

You do realize that the real estate market is rebounding? Hang in there.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 2, 2013, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mango2013 View Post
    Thank you, the property was 55k when I purchased it, and today is only appraissed at 25K, is very nice, but I still owe the bank 44K. But I had heard that in FL they can place a lien on the homestead property but can't force you to sell, are you sure they can't place a lien?
    If the HOA has a judgment, it can record the judgment. When it does, that judgment constitutes a lien.

But why worry? So what if they have a judgment lien? If it's homestead they can't enforce their lien by selling your property.

Filing for protection under the bankruptcy code (Chapters 7 and 13 are most common) will probably extinguish that judgment lien anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a credit card company put a lien on your homestead in Tennessee? [ 2 Answers ]

My brother sold his condo in TN on Friday, got the $, deposited, paid off a debt with the entire amt. Papers were not filed on Friday but the following Mon or Tues. Discover Card put a lien on his home & the atty for the new owners wants this paid. Isn't the property technically "sold" since papers...

How soon before filing for chap 7 bankruptcy can I put a lien against my car? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm going to file for Chap 7 Bankruptcy in about two months. I need to borrow money to pay for taxes, my attorney and car insurance. I have about 4000 worth of equity in my car. It is all right to borrow money from a family member or friend, have a promissary note and loan payment terms written up,...

Can I get a homestead after they put a lien on the home [ 2 Answers ]

I have two rentals and another home I live in. The rentals are not worth what I owe. Can creditor card companies put a lien on the rentals and or the home I live in. If I homestead the one I live in, can they still put a lien on it. I don't really care if they put a lien on the two rentals. I...

Unsecured lien against Florida homestead [ 10 Answers ]

I have two liens/judgements against my (home), homestead, in Florida. Both of these are for overdue credit cards and have been turned over to collectors. Can I have these judgements removed? (I need to refinance). Is this a complicated process? Is it an expensive process? My understanding is that...

Can the Homestead Exemption be used to stop property lien [ 7 Answers ]

OK, no answer on the first Q yet... but does anyone know about the Homestead Exemption? I see sites that post cases where people have used that while in bankruptcy court to avoid a lien on their property. Im not in BK court, this is small claims for an old debt 5K. Im in New Hampshire, thanks

View more questions Search