Ask
    biligirijois Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 03:33 AM
    Carcinoid syndrome
    Sir what is
    Carcinoid syndrome , what are the symptoms , cause and relief
    Parajr Posts: 149, Reputation: 21

Mar 25, 2007, 04:57 AM
    The carcinoid syndrome is a combination of symptoms caused by the hormones released by the tumors into the blood stream. The symptoms of the carcinoid syndrome vary they include flushing, diarrhea, abdominal pain, wheezing, and heart disease. Treatment depends on tumor size, malignant potential, prognosis, extent of metastasis, and symptoms. Treatment could be surgery to medicine
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 25, 2007, 05:55 AM

Carcinoid Syndrome
    When carcinoid tumors produce excessive amounts of hormones that circulate throughout the body, a condition called carcinoid syndrome can occur. This syndrome, which develops in approximately 10% of patients, is more common in carcinoids of the midgut, the foregut, and in those that have metastasized (especially to the liver). Symptoms of carcinoid syndrome depend on which hormones are produced by the tumor.
    During the course of the disease, approximately 70% of carcinoid syndrome patients experience a sudden red rash that usually develops on the face and neck and is accompanied by feelings of warmth and itching (called flushing). Episodes of flushing may be spontaneous or may be triggered by stress, alcohol, exercise, or consumption of certain foods, such as cheese.
    Other symptoms of carcinoid syndrome include the following:
    • Abdominal pain
    • Bluish tint to the skin (cyanosis)
    • Diarrhea
    • Enlargement of peripheral body parts including face, head, hands, and feet (acromegaly)
    • Erectile dysfunction
    • Fever
    • Heart damage (e.g., endocardial fibrosis)
    • Malnutrition (caused by malabsorption of foods)
    • Reduced sex drive (libido)
    • Skin lesions
    • Wheezing
    Since the treatment methods are a little too long to copy and paste, as I did above for you, here is a link to the various treatment methods.
    Carcinoid Malignancy - Diagnosis & Treatment - oncologychannel

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Degeorge Syndrome [ 30 Answers ]

My daughter has partial degeorge syndrome she now 13. This I know is rare. If anyone has a child who has it I would love to hear from them.

Restless Leg Syndrome [ 11 Answers ]

Hello. My daddy doesn't have the time so Im asking for him. HE says he gets restless leg syndrome every once and awhile and would like to know what causes restless leg syndrome? Thank you.

Blurts out almost like tourette's syndrome elderly [ 3 Answers ]

Help... my father-in-law had a heart attack and then bypass surgery 4 years ago. He has no working arteries in his legs, only veins. He has one "dead" kidney and has had stents put in both carotid arteries... last week we were visiting and he blurted out stuff that made no sense... kind of like...

Asperger's Syndrome in Adults [ 3 Answers ]

I am wondering if a person I know is an adult with Asperger's Syndrome. He has some but not all of the listed characteristics--outbursts where he expects the listener to know what he's been thinking, hypersensitivity to sound and smell, self-injurious behavior such as picking his nose and his...

Dirty sock syndrome [ 3 Answers ]

My house is new construction... could I be getting dirty sock syndrome... if so are the uv lights the way to go... smell is mostly concentrated where the return vent is

View more questions Search