Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elvisrosas Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Jun 30, 2013, 11:51 AM
    Why do applications ask if I am hispanic or latino?
    I have been searching for a new job and I keep coming across with the question "are you Hispanic or latino" why do they ask it ? Would it be less likely to get a job if I checked that? What's the purpose of that question?

>thread moved from Immigration Law<
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 30, 2013, 12:34 PM
    Maybe because they are a minority group and the company posting can't say no if they are either of those, they can't discriminate against them.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 30, 2013, 12:41 PM
    In the US, it means either that they get government contracts that require a certain % of non-Caucasian employees, or they have a company policy of diversity in hiring (usually large corporations and chain stores).
    It would be in your favor, generally.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 30, 2013, 01:43 PM
    @joy, so basically, they can't discriminate against this minority group

You said it nicely though, very diplomatic :)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 30, 2013, 02:49 PM
    I wasn't meaning to be diplomatic.
    I forgot to add that it is always voluntary to answer any question about race on a job application.

No employer can discriminate AGAINST someone based (solely) on race whether they ask or not, but they can discriminate in FAVOR, to keep in line with the ratio of the general population.
    So if you see a question about race, it's because they want to or have to hire from different backgrounds.

I once worked for a minority contractor. He was usually a sub on huge gov't contracts that required a % of employees and subs be minority. He had to have a % of minority employees working for him too. It was a lot of paperwork.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 30, 2013, 02:58 PM
    I do have to ask, why is this in immigration law? Are you residing in the US legally? Are you legally allowed to work in the US? Is that the issue you're having?

Jul 20, 2013, 05:17 PM
    No lol I was just wondering and I didn't know what catalogue I was susoppsed to put it under lol
    Pets Expert

Jul 20, 2013, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvisrosas View Post
    no lol I was just wondering and I didn't know what catalogue I was susoppsed to put it under lol
    Well you put it in immigration law, and since you didn't give a lot of info with your question, my guess was that you were asking because you're an illegal immigrant, which could have course have a lot of bearing on you getting a job in the US.

When someone posts a question, and doesn't give a lot of info, we look at the forum they posted it under to help guide us. In this case you posted it in the immigration law forum, which is why I asked about your status in the US.

Jul 20, 2013, 05:28 PM
    No I'm not illegal I am Hispanic and I was just wondering because that question has been brought up all the time when I do an application and no one really have me a real answer as to why the government put that there
    Pets Expert

Jul 20, 2013, 05:37 PM
    no im not illegal I am Hispanic and I was just wondering because that question has been brought up all the time when I do an application and no one really have me a real answer as to why the government put that there
    Not sure. It may be because there are a lot of illegals in the US. It could also be because they have to meet a certain quota of minorities hired, which can only work in your favor.

I'm in Canada, every application for a job I fill out asks if I'm Indian. I'm guessing it's because there are many Indians in the country I live in, and they do have more rights than the rest of the population. If you're Indian in Canada, you're pretty much guaranteed a job, even if you're not qualified for it. If you're Indian and you're turned down for a job, you can cause all sorts of problems. Doesn't matter that you're not qualified for the job, doesn't matter that there are others more qualified than you. As a minority, they get first dibs.

But really, we can only guess why they ask. Only they really know why.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2013, 05:47 PM
    They ask for demographic census type thing
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 20, 2013, 06:26 PM
    no lol I was just wondering and I didn't know what catalogue I was susoppsed to put it under lol
    It should have been put in Labor Law.

>thread moved<

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Songs Latino [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to work out a song I heard it sounded like Enrique Inglesias but not sure. There where words in it that went something like Wish that I could follow you, don't know if You"d even want me too". I know it was quite a slow song but cannot find it in any of his songs?? It was so lovely. Can...

Need the name of a Latino/Tropcal song from the 90's [ 0 Answers ]

It could have been popular around 2000-2002. Very catchy instrumental song with a heavy bass line. Mexican horns playing with some tongue twirl calls and animal sounds. I still hear dj's playing it! Kind of sounds like the Bomb by the Bucketheads... but it's more laid back and beachy with bass! I'm...

What color hair for hispanic? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm hispanic with dark brown skin and hazel eye... my hair color at the moment is black with a llight brownish color underneath... I want to lighten my hair but I don't know what will look good with my complextion and I don't want to do anything to crazy... any suggestions?

What is this hispanic fruit? [ 5 Answers ]

I saw something in a hispanic food market I can't find in any tropical fruit listing. It's a huge oblong brown fruit that is hard as a rock, with a slightly rough skin. It was not a cocoa pod, jackfruit, durian or coconut. Any ideas? Len

View more questions Search