Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kita13 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jun 29, 2013, 09:33 PM
    My hoarder dad
    My dad has all these boxes and junk the boxes are practically rotten yet he says he can use them for car parts,and the junk he says can be sold for some money. But the worst part is he won't let me sell the stuff I own and now there is a big pile of boxes in my room that I can't even get rid of. S my question is what can I do to get him to let me sell all my stuff and get rid of the rotten boxes and most of all the junk?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 29, 2013, 09:40 PM
    How old are you? Where is your mom? Any older sibs?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 29, 2013, 09:50 PM
    Tell him that you don't like having the clutter in your room, that you'd like to have a nice clean room, devoid of boxes, especially boxes of stuff you no longer use. Ask if you can have a garage sale, or donate some of your things to goodwill.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 30, 2013, 01:10 AM
    If you are a adult, just do it, no need for permission
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 30, 2013, 03:14 AM
    I take it you are a teen? Take items out, 2 or 3 at a time, in a school bag/backpack.
    Take them to a friend's house, or a relative, who lives nearby.
    Ask them if you can have a tag sale around Labor Day.

If the 'rot' is a health hazard, warn dad that you could call the town health dept and they could order him to get rid of it, and fine him too.
    If it's a fire hazard, same thing with the fire dept.
    If he has a really neurotic obsession, he will just fly off the handle, of course, and it will be tough on everyone to turn him in. Better to squirrel stuff out of the house. Even his stuff, starting with junk that should just be thrown out.
    I had to do that with my mother.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2013, 08:43 PM
    If your dad is a hoarder you will need to find a way to move out of the house. He will not change without professional help, and won't get help until he wants to change. It 's a mental illness and logic does not work, nor will threats, or pleading. Or trying to sneak things out. He will just collect more. Do you have other relatives you could live with until your dad gets help?

My best friend is a hoarder and for years I have tried to get through to her. She fought me on getting rid of an empty container from mixed nuts. Her argument was that if she had it on her living room end table, she could put her remote on it and know which of her many remotes worked. I suggested she put the others in a drawer and only have the good one out but she couldn't handle that idea. In other words, a hoarder can justify any piece of crap having critical value. She also kept an old fur toilet seat cover "in case" she needed to re-cover a cat bed. It was on the bed five minutes before the cat pushed it off and has since sat on the hall floor for over a year. If I tried to throw it out, she would invent another intended purpose.

I know he is your dad but he is ill and you need to talk to another trusted adult and see if you can go live in a clean home. You can still see and love your dad but can refuse to return to the home until he gets professional help and is ready to change.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat Hoarder Worries [ 3 Answers ]

I have some serious concerns that some friends of ours, a married couple, are trotting down the path to becoming animal hoarders. They have little money and only live in a very small trailer, and until recently they only had one unspayed female cat. Now they also own an unneutered male cat, only a...

My daughter is receiving dissability beniftis from dad. Dad owes arearages is the ss [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter has just starting receiving ss disability benefits off her father.. her father owes arearages. Does the dissability benefit she receives takes get deducted from what he owes.

How to show my dad as my newly immigated dad as my dependent for insurance purposes [ 1 Answers ]

How to show my dad who is new lawful immigrant and will get a green card as my dependent for health insurance and tax purposes

How to break the news to my 12 yr old son, that his dad isn't his biological dad. . [ 4 Answers ]

My 12 year old son, has no idea that his dad is not his biological dad. I need to find a way to sit him down and explain to him, I also need to find a way to talk to my other half about us telling our son. My other half wants to have no part in letting him know, as he says, "he doesn't need to...

View more questions Search