Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swiser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2013, 03:35 PM
    State select hot water heater pilot light goes off after heating one tank of water
    Water heater pilot light goes off after heating one tank of water and has to be relite again.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2013, 10:52 AM
    That's usually the thermocouple and you will need to get a universal thermocouple kit at any good hardware store like Home Depot or Lowe's. Make sure when you replace it to adjust flame to hit 3/8" on tip of thermocouple only. Any more than that and it will not work. It works on the temp difference between tip and rest of thermocouple. The only other thing that will cause this problem is the gas valve. If you have a good ohm meter check between inside center of where you screw in thermocouple to body of gas valve. You should get a high reading if it's good and infinity if it's bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State Select Gas Hot Water Heater Pilot & Burner Goes Out [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Stat Select 50 Gal Gas Hot Water Heater made in 2005. Yesterday there was no hot water. The pilot light had gone out. I relit the pilot and the burner came on. This morning there was again no hot water. The pilot was out again and I relit it and turned on the burner. I noticed...

State select water heater pilot light how to relite the pilot [ 3 Answers ]

I have a State Select Water Heater, I am assuming the pilot light has gone out as I have not hot water. What process do I do to see if this is indeed the problem before calling in a service man.

State select water heater pilot light [ 3 Answers ]

We have a State Select Hot Water Heater (I don't have the model # was difficult for me to see). Our pilot light won't stay lit. It went out somtime Saturday afternoon. We were able to light it Saturday evening. It stayed lit for a while once it was lit Saturday night. The pilot light went out again...

State Select Water Heater Pilot Light off Model GS640HBRT [ 0 Answers ]

The pilot light on my State Select Water Heater went off Tuesday night. Restarted it Wednesday night. Went off again Thursdat.

Can't find where to light pilot on State Select Water Heater [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a horrible time finding the Hot Water Heater pilot on a State Select Hot Water Heater.

View more questions Search