Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wrongway65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2013, 04:05 AM
    Roommate problems
    I am a female homeowner and I have a male roommate. We have our own rooms, we do not sleep together. The roommate rents my spare bedroom for $400 a month. He is $603 behind on his rent. We have had two severe fights in the last four months. He has threatened me, kicked me in the stomach, thrown food at me and damaged property of mine. He has popped the lock on my bedroom door and gone through and taken items that belong to me. I called the police to have him removed from the property but, he is on probation and wears a leg monitor. The police officers told me first of all, he can't leave because of the leg monitor and second of all, because he lives in my home, all property is community property.
    Legally he can damage, rummage through or even break in to my personal property and my home. The officers told me that it would be best advised if I left and went to stay somewhere else for the evening or a few days so that there won't be anymore altercations and they won't be called back every hour for more disturbances. Now, once again I am the homeowner and I was the one who called the police officers and I AM THE ONE THAT WAS ASKED TO LEAVE.
    Why is it that the non paying, stomach kicking, life threatening, property damaging thief renter gets to have free range of MY home and I have to leave?
    Needless to say as soon as I left, he broke into my room again and began to help himself to my personal belongings. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE? I don't know if this is just Texas law or the same anywhere. Please help!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 28, 2013, 04:30 AM
    First, Don't rely on the police to properly cite the law. While it may be true that it would be difficult to force him out immediately due to the leg monitor, It is not true that there is community property here.

I would first talk to someone higher than the officers who responded to your call. Either a police captain or someone in the Attorney General's office. Second, I would have him served with a pay or quit notice. To vacate in three days. If he doesn't you file in court for an eviction order (forcible detainer).

If you want to file a restraining order, get an attorney to do so, since the leg monitor complicates things.

You might also find out the terms of the leg monitor. If he breaks the law (and stealing is breaking the law) he could be put in jail.

Sounds to me like the police officers who responded were taking the easy way out, but I doubt if what they told you represents actual law.

P.S. its not a good idea to piggyback your question on another thread, so to avoid confusion I moved your post to its own thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate Problems: How to Deal with crazy Roommate [ 4 Answers ]

I have a roommate who is 52 years old (Japanese/American bon in US). He was pretty good roommate from Aug 2001, just because he never lived in apt until end of July, I think. He was living with his girlfriend whole time but he came back once a while but he never stayed no longer than 1 week....

Roommate Problems [ 5 Answers ]

So in the next week I am moving in with my best friend who has rented a house. He and his girlfriend have a room, then we have another roommate who has his own room, and then I will have my own as well. The problem is that I recently got a new TV from my parents for doing well this last two...

Roommate problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. My name is dogus. We moved in an apartment with another guy 4 months ago. But we had many problems between each other. So I moved out on 28th of February. On our lease, his name is as a tenant, my name is as a roommate. When I moved out, ce called me and asked, why I moved out not...

Roommate Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I am just feeling frusterated right now and need to vent and perhaps get some advice. My roommate and were good friends however we have grown apart in the past months. I have a boyfriend I have been with 6 months and I usually go to his place as opposed to him coming over. Its easier...

Roommate problems [ 1 Answers ]

I leased a room in my house (that I own) to someone that needed a place on short notice. She would not sign a lease agreement. I want her OUT. We do not get along. I asked her for her rent 2 days ahead because I was going out of town. My ? Is can legally change the rent due date when there was no...

View more questions Search