Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drewblows Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2013, 02:50 AM
    Cracked bathroom wall tiles
    I had my bathroom done by a contractor about three years ago. I have 2" x 4" subway tiles surrounding my bathtub.

I have a long vertical crack running the length of the tiles ( 4-5' long) in the middle of the bathtub. The water is on the south side; the crack is on the west side.

I know that everything will have to be gutted to get to the root of the problem. I assume that it has something to do with the joint of the backer board since it is almost a perfect line.

I did not witness the installation so I am not sure of the particulars. But what would be some of the causes of cracks like this and what needs to be done to make sure this does not happen again?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 28, 2013, 03:25 AM
    I would divide possible fault between the work done and the general structure of the house.

Some reasons: no expansion joint between backerboards. Hardie requires 1/8" gap. IF that's what he used.
    Or 1/4" thick board instead of 1/2".
    Or no gap at first row of tiles at the bottom (tub rises and sinks enough when full of water to put a strain on the framing).
    Or 2 or 3 of the above.

As for your house, describe it's age and what is above and below the tub area. A sagging joist could cause a crack, or a leak from the roof, or the exhaust fan...

If I had to guess, I'd say it's the lack of expansion joint. I think a lot of people think Hardie board doesn't expand - it does. It has wood fiber in it. You could remove one tile and look. The person who did the job is responsible if that's it.

Whenever you get quotes, demand a description of materials and methods.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cracked and loose wall tiles [ 2 Answers ]

Only a few months ago we had our bathroom tiled with travertine stone tiles. We noticed a few hairline cracks appearing in the grouton the wall behind the toilet but didn't worry too much. Over the last couple of moths that crack has split about an inch wide pushing the tiles up in the window...

Installing wall bathroom tiles? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm taking down those plastic wall coverings that look like tiles and installing ceramic tiles. I'll use the water resistant (green/blue, depends where you buy it) drywall. Here's a question, can I start installing tiles from the side/top/bottom instead of middle, so pieces are only on one...

Cracked wall tiles [ 3 Answers ]

we have newly laid wall tiles that have now cracked (very faint). These tiles are large (3' x 1') laid horizontally on cement board, on timber framing. Any ideads on why we are getting the cracking?

Cracked ceramic tile on bathroom wall [ 3 Answers ]

I live in an older home. Some of the bathroom wall tiles are cracked. I want to replace the cracked tiles (4x4 tiles) So when I remove an old tile, there is this adhesive (?) that is hard as a rock. Do I have to remove this also before I install a replacement tile? Also, could I just put...

Removing tiles on bathroom wall [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed the other day that the tile on my bathroom wall is falling apart. It looks like that its on a plasterboard. Does anyone have any suggestions?

View more questions Search