Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NDSC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 09:02 PM
    What else to do with teacher qualifications?
    I'd like to know what other careers I'd be suitable and qualified for outside of teaching with a Major in English and Sociology and a teaching degree. I have been teaching elementary school (special ed, gr.5, 6, ESL), and I'd like to know what career would be welcome to a teacher with my qualifications seeking to transition out of teaching.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2007, 10:32 PM
    So, are you saying that you want to get out of teaching entirely?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 25, 2007, 06:56 AM
    Many try positions in sells, I know many who go into insurance or real estate sales. With a BA in Sociology, you may look into being a sociol worker or a juv probation officer. You can become a correctional officer.
    And we as a police officer we had three teachers who had become police officers.
    There are boot camp couselors. I guess the question is what are you interested in and why you want to get out of teahing,
    Parajr Posts: 149, Reputation: 21

Mar 25, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Pharmasutical sales is a position that I have seen many teacher migrate into. It dependes on the time you have invested into the career also. Some colleges or technical school will hire you to work with at risk students. The skills need are similar. I'm a teacher myself so I don't have to ask you why you are considering leaving the profession. I hate to see you go, but I know what we are faced with.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Have you thought of continuing your education so that you could advance into administration or become an instructor at the college level? If that is anything you might be interested in. What about writing? For example, curriuculum for special education. I am sure there were resources you could have used but were not available. Using your experiences and background, create something useful and applicable to the reality of special education.

Have you thought of working for an advocacy agency for people with disabilties? Your background would make you a very good advocate. Maybe consdiering becoming a paralegal? You would not need much more education and there are some firms that hire and train.

Good luck to you.
    hollyt Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 02:55 PM
    I too am a teacher-on-leave... and soooo understand why you are searching elsewhere.

My wheels are constantly spinning! :rolleyes:

My sister-in-law works for Southwest Airlines and is always telling me that the airlines LOVE teachers!! It depends on what type of schedule you are looking for- but it may be food for thought.

Best of luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teacher Burn Out [ 3 Answers ]

I am a high school social studies teacher, and I'm feeling burned out. This is a second career, so I am frustrated at having to "start over" again. I love most students, but the paperwork is overwhelming. I have 240 students a day, teach five different classes, run two clubs and have a special...

Teacher needs help [ 7 Answers ]

Have a 10 year old student with the following characteristics: Volitle.. emotionally, not physically Mild to moderately paranoid Dislikes most people, yet is very sweet and clingy to me No social skills Immature Insecure Gets very loud and emotional Repeats phrases... I hate you... you...

View more questions Search