Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asinghal Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2013, 12:29 PM
    Tax Filing : For Green Card Holder returning back to India
    Hi,

I am a green card holder (Indian citizen) , I will be permanently moving to India next year by filing tax returns for FY2013. I don't have any property in India except some balance in Indian accounts which are of my house after selling it before moving to US.

Now, what is the scenario I have to file tax return in US for income earned in India after migrating there i.e, for year 2014 and on.

Will surrendering my green card, stop US tax filing ?

Please help
    Thanks in Advance
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 1, 2013, 04:48 AM
    You will not owe taxes on income received after leaving the U.S.
    asinghal Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2013, 06:31 PM
    Thanks for answer,

But as I have read that there is a dual tax treaty between US and India, and green card holders have to file taxes in US even residing and living in India. I am not getting this thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green card holder returning permanently to India [ 11 Answers ]

I wish to relocate to India permanently next month. I am a green card holder. Can I pay taxes for income earned in 2012 before leaving? Will I get W-2 from my company and 1099 from financial institutions before leaving or do I need to wait till Jan 2013? Also, since I don't plan to return to USA,...

Tax Filing after Returning to India [ 2 Answers ]

I am an india citizen and stayed in US for 7 years. Last year during aug 2011, I moved back to India. When US filing taxes, should I file it as a foreign national, or as a resident of the state where I last lived? Can I give my foreign address for correspondence? Thanks

Payment of tax in India and USA by green card holder/Double tax Treaty. [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is a USA citizen. I can get a Green card as Parent (aged 79 yrs). I will not have any USA income. Will have Indian income (interest etc. Taxable in India ) How will this affect USA tax requirements. Do I have to pay tax on my Indian income in USA? Please reply. NARAIN

Tax on 401k for green card holder leaving US [ 0 Answers ]

Tax question: I am a green card holder and have contributed to company 401k for several years. I now wish to return to UK this year and abandon my green card. What is the best option(s) for my 401k plan in terms of minimizing taxes. Unfortuately I do not believe that I can transfer the money to...

GREEN CARD HOLDER returning to USA after 6 months and leaving again. [ 1 Answers ]

I know that a green card holder can stay (without problems) 6 months out of USA. But after returning to USA, HOW LONG minimum should one stay and leave again without having problems?

View more questions Search