Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ytram Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2013, 02:16 PM
    Window air conditioner blows cold air, but the frame/body is VERY hot.
    The air conditioner has been working great and is still blowing out very cold air. The fan is blowing hot air from the rear correctly. The problem is, the compressor is VERY hot and that heat is transferring to the body/frame of the unit. The window sill and entire air conditioner frame is red hot, impossible to touch for longer than 1 second. If you spit on it, it instantly steams and evaporates like you had a fire in a 50 gallon drum on a winter night in the ghetto.

Why is it getting so hot?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2013, 09:45 AM
    Pull the unit out from the window and remove the covers as best you can and use alkaline coil cleaner or Easy Off Oven Cleaner (The kind that contains lye.) to clean the coils and clean out the drain from the front coils. Sometimes the drain is just a cut-out in the Styrofoam. Once you clean it (and oil the fan motor!) it will run much cooler. If you do not clean a window unit once a year they will not cool very well, and they get extremely dirty, fast.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air conditioner blows cold air but is very noisy [ 1 Answers ]

15100 BTU 9 year old sears through the wall air conditioner is blowing cold air but is making a loud noise. It sounds like the fan. Any suggestions on what it could be?

Why does my furnace blows out cold air when it should be blowing out hot air? [ 7 Answers ]

Why does my furnace blows out cold air, when it should be blowing hot air?

My central air conditioner blows cold for 5-10 min then blows warm air [ 0 Answers ]

The a/c blows cold only bot 5-10 minutes then blows warm air. I shut it off for an hr turned it back on it will blow cold for a minute but then back to warm. I changed the air filter it was really clogged up when I got it out.

My furnace will not blow hot air, it blows cold air only. [ 5 Answers ]

My home furnace is not working properly. It only blows cold air.

My furnace will not blow hot air, it blows cold air only. [ 2 Answers ]

my furnace does not blow hot air. And the red light indicator stays on continues. My furenace is westinghouse it is 4 years old. And the furnace keeps on working even when I turned off from the in the termostat. I can only turn it off by unplaging the power cord. The wiring diagram in the furnace...

View more questions Search