Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alex67212 Posts: 3, Reputation: -2

Jun 25, 2013, 09:31 AM
    Dr. Bill EtG question.
    I am an alcoholic and have drank an average of twelve beers a night every single night for the last decade. I'm 37 175lb 6ft tall male with a high metabolism. I was court ordered to treatment due to a DUI and finally this weekend put down the alcohol. Thank God and an occasional Ativan when I start losing my head I've managed to make it so far. Now I fear it may be too little too late in terms of my upcoming EtG test. I reduced my use from twelve daily to 5 on Friday. 5 on Saturday and had one and a half 12 oz beers on Sunday by 4pm. I have been abstinent from any alcohol since but have been drinking a lot of green tea which I heard now dehydrates and may make itharder for my system to get clean? Anyway, my test is on Wednesday at 9am. I'm overjoyed that iI've finally stopped drinking but now worry I'll fail the test. I'll be around 60 hours from my last beer but fear the fact I've drank so much for so long. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2013, 09:46 AM
    Dr. Bill is no longer posting on this site.

With that said... going lest than two days without drinking isn't abstinance (you drank Sunday evening... its not Tuesday afternoon)... and it's a violation of the site rules to offer or give any help to those trying to cheat on either drug or alcohol tests.

If you did as told and avoided the substance in question... then you would pass your tests... its that simple.

This forum exists for those who are trying to get over their addictions... not to get over on their random tests.

Jun 25, 2013, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Dr. Bill is no longer posting on this site.

With that said....going lest than two days without drinking isn't abstinance (you drank Sunday evening...its not Tuesday afternoon)....and its a violation of the site rules to offer or give any help to those trying to cheat on either drug or alcohol tests.

If you did as told and avoided the substance in question...then you would pass your tests...its that simple.

This forum exists for those who are trying to get over their addictions...not to get over on their random tests.
    I drank for approximately 15 years DAILY. I decided to quit. In case you have no grasp on the English language I would also refer you to the nearest dictionary. I drank one beer Sunday rather than twelve and did ABSTAIN Monday and will today as well. Therefore, yes I am abstaining from alcohol. Last but definitely not least I in no way am trying to or gave any indication in my post an attempt to "get over" on the system. Not sure where you got that idea. I quit drinking. Finally did it. I'm proud of myself. I simply wondered as I specifically mentioned.. is it too little too late. FYI I if I wanted to cheat the system is be drinking daily and Bringing clean urine for testing because my tests are not monitored. I'd appreciate any input.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jun 25, 2013, 11:51 AM
    Alex, good luck with your testing and staying clean. You are close to the test going either way. Will they forgive one slip-up?

Are getting any other help with changing your lifestyle and habits to limit the chances you will drink again?

Something that has me worried. You are in a danger zone right now. Be glad you haven't had those drinks, but be aware that you have not stopped drinking yet. You have taken a very big first step. Getting over confident can lead to stumbling and falling off the path. No one here would like to see that happen.

Jun 25, 2013, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Alex, good luck with your testing and staying clean. You are close to the test going either way. Will they forgive one slip-up?

Are getting any other help with changing your lifestyle and habits to limit the chances you will drink again?

Something that has me worried. You are in a danger zone right now. Be glad you haven't had those drinks, but be aware that you have not stopped drinking yet. You have taken a very big first step. Getting over confident can lead to stumbling and falling off the path. No one here would like to see that happen.
    . Cat.. I have spent the last five years drinking not because I enjoyed it but rather because my body needed the alcohol. I was addicted. The only thing standing in my way was the fear of withdrawal. Without getting too deep into a conversation I'm not overconfident, I'm glad. I have quit drinking. I'm not sure what you mean when you say I haven't quit yet. Obviously I'm not drinking because I've decided to stop doing it. I quit. If you meant it's a long term commitment, I need to address underlying issues, etc and take the necessary steps to avoid using again.. well that's common sense and in no way means I "haven't quit drinking yet".. so from your site I've learned today I'm not abstaining because it hasn't been 48 hours yet and I haven't even quit drinking yet. :) wow. This place is a hoot! Think I'll run along now.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 25, 2013, 12:07 PM
    Alex, I'm wondering, what is it you wanted to hear? Obviously it's not what you've been told. That happens a lot on this site. People come here to ask a question, and they have a very specific answer they want to hear. When strangers tell them how they see the situation, it's not usually what the questioner wants to hear, and they get upset.

Sometimes the truth hurts.
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2013, 12:11 PM
    Abstaining meant staying away from it fopr a LONG time... less than 48 hours isn't abstaining... I go weeks between driving some of my cars... I wouldn't even consider that ABSTAINING..

http://thesaurus.com/browse/abstaining+from

When its been months... you have something to start to be proud of... WEEKS would be a start... less than 48 hours isn't abstaining its only the firs step... do it for several years... then you have accomplished something to be proud of.

That's like saying I quit smoking yesterday... yeah... lets rack some time behind that then it actually means something.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 25, 2013, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex67212 View Post
    alty. How about an answer to the question. Truth hurts? False accusations are truth?.. another brilliant mind at work. Rolls eyes.. adios kids. I'll go find some adults to talk to. I just showed this thread to my sponsor who agrees.. you people are poison.
    You already got an answer to your question. The test could go either way, it's a grey area. A lot will depend on your body, how it processes alcohol, etc. etc.

One thing you do have to understand, the majority of people that come here asking about EtG tests, come here to ask how to beat the test, and continue drinking. Even if there were a way to fool the test, telling someone how to do it would be illegal, and unconscionable. I know you didn't ask how to beat it, but after years here, it's an assumption we make. I do agree it's not one we should make, but it's not always easy, especially when the questions that come in are still the same, and the majority of the posters still just want to know how to get away with what they're doing.

I hope that you stick with AA, and I hope that you are able to stay away from alcohol. I realize that it's not easy, and I for one would like to offer any support I can give in helping you achieve your goal of staying alcohol free.

Good luck.
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2013, 03:55 PM
    You are wasting your time Alty... until he gets over that obvious really bad attitude he's got... he's not going to make any headway in the direction he needs to. And he's got to do that before he's going to improve.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2013, 05:22 PM
    Alex, I have to echo Alty's question. What were you expecting?

But let me say this, I doubt if you really showed this to your sponsor. From what I know of the friends of Bill, they would totally agree.

Yes you should be proud that you have made the decision to stop. Yes you should be proud that you have not had a drink for 2 days. But you need to understand that these are baby steps. That 2 days after more than 10 years of steady drinking is a mere drop in the bucket and would be considered merely the first half step in a long road.

And yes it may be too little too late. There is no telling for sure.

You talked about the truth, well that's what we have been giving you, the truth. Sometimes the truth hurts, but that's what you have been given. That you would lash out, insult and attempt to ridicule people telling you the truth shows you have a long way to go. Your sponsor should have told it was the truth, but, at the same time he needs to bolster you and tell you that you have taken a step in the right direction and that you need to take comfort in that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dr BIll... ETG Question [ 4 Answers ]

Dr. Bill. I am 38, fairly healthy, have not been drinking lately due to being in a program. I recently however, went on a 7 day drinking binge, consuming approx. 15 drinks a day. I have to take an EtG test at 1pm on Thursday, with my last drink consumed at approx 5pm Monday. I have been...

ETG question for Dr. Bill [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry I posted a minute ago but didn't know if it would get your attention: If I had 2 beers on a Tuesday night at approx 6pm and took EtG test on Thursday at 10:30am, what do you think the chances are for a positive? The alcohol was consumed in about 40 minutes and time from first drink was ~...

Dr. Bill, question about EtG [ 1 Answers ]

Last Sunday, I drank a couple vodka and seven ups, and a maybe 6 beers, I have a test this Saturday at 9am. I am 37 year old male, 140 pounds. Will EtG be most likely eliminated? The last test was postponed.

ETG Question for Dr. Bill [ 6 Answers ]

Dr. Bill, On Monday I drank 7 beers ending at 9pm. On Wednesday night (last night) I had 2 gulps of white wine. This morning I was called in for a random ETG UA tomorrow (Friday) at 2pm. Therefore, it will have been 89 hours since Monday's New Year's shenanigans and the test. It will have been...

View more questions Search