Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Mar 24, 2007, 06:24 PM
    How do I keep box elder bugs away?
    How can I get rid of box elder bugs? The south side of my house is just covered with them. I have two kids under 5, and a dog, so I would rather not use pesticides. I know they will fly away to feed, but how do I keep them from coming back. It seems like every year they have become more numerous.

Thanks for your help.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Box Elder bugs are not the easiest to control. They are totally harmless but can be a nuisance. If they are congregating in such a manner as to look like an infestation, do you have a box elder tree close to the house? I hate saying it but the best and easiest way to get rid of the bugs is to remove the tree that is drawing them. You could also have a professional treat the tree, but the sprays are pesticides. You would have to keep the kids and dog away from the area until the next rainfall.

I don't know where you live but this website has a lot of information:

Box Elder Bug Page - United Exterminating Company - Cherry Hill, NJ
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Mar 24, 2007, 07:29 PM
    I don't have a tree in my yard. Maybe someone in the area has one.

Thanks for the help.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2007, 07:37 PM
    That is very strange that they are congregatinglike that without a tree. The other option is in late summer/early fall, have an exterminator come in and spray the exterior of your house. If it is just that one side, he can do that in a few minutes. You will need to close all your windows and not let the kids or dog in that area until there is a good rain. It might help. I have boxelder bugs but not to the extent you have. But, I get cluster flies in the winter. To keep them at bay, I have an exterminator spray the entire house at that time of year. Fortunately for me, gets rid of them completely. But, it has to be done every year. Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Little Bugs [ 6 Answers ]

The last couple of weeks, I've noticed thes tiny bugs at all of my windows in my house. They were at every window even the ones upstairs. The bugs were also in my bathroom/bathtub. They are so tiny that it looks like a dot just crawling around. I've sprayed and sprayed and I can't get rid of...

Elder Law and Medi-cal/Medi-care [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I have a mom and a mom-in-law who are both over 70, retired, and on Medi-cal/Medi-care. In the process of doing some research, much to my dismay, I recently found out that M/M will seize your assets (bank account, property, etc) upon your passing if you are in their system (using...

Assassin Bugs [ 2 Answers ]

My son (7) is doing a school project on assassin bugs and has been bugging (pun intended) me to help him find an answer to which specific regions(s) of Canada assassin bugs are native to. I've tried a number of online resources with little success. Any information or direction would be greatly...

Box Elder Problems [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a home with a nice box elder in the yard. I noticed that some of the branches were dead and proceeded to cut them out. This year, some of the branches died just as the leaves were about half the size that they reach during the spring. Is this a bug or fungus problem? I...

Box Elder Bugs [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to get rid of box elder bugs? I live in a mobile home and have been annoyed by these harmless bugs since we moved in but can't find anything to get rid of them... any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks!

View more questions Search