Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pepper10 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2013, 07:05 AM
    Money transfer from foreign country to U.S. account
    I have an acquaintance that lives overseas. Her husband has passed away she has been identified as next of kin on a stock certificate that he held issued by the patronas oil company worth $120,000,000.00 to be issued by Asian Finance Bank BHD Malaysia She has asked me to have this money transferred to my U.S bank account instead of hers for personal reasons. I have been giving a copy of the stock certificate, her husbands bank account information along with his access (user and password) information and a contact (name) of person at Asian Finance Bank to contact and receive instructions and necessary requirements to have this money transferred to my U.S. account. What are your opinion(s). What consequences if any may I face If I elect to proceed with her request
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 25, 2013, 07:10 AM
    Have you actually met this person face to face as this has all the hall marks of a classic advanced fee fraud!
    In short this is a SCAM!!

Jun 25, 2013, 07:59 AM
    No have not met in person. Resides in London there has been no request or mention of any fees. I was asked to email and contact individual at remittance dept at asian finance in malaysia to get instructions for transferring funds. As mentioned I was provided with share certificate information issued by One Heaven Treasury I was giving access to his bank account number user name and password and I was able to enter account and view "statement of accounts" info etc if I can in fact receive this amount of money legally and without criminal consequences and of course without jeopordizing my own account and funds why wouldn't I just pay any fees Thank you
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 25, 2013, 08:01 AM
    Seriously doesn't this seem odd to you.
    Someone you have NEVER met is asking you to transfer 120 MILLION dollars to your bank account for safe keeping!!

If this doesn't ring monstrous alarm bells then you deserve to be fleeced.

Jun 25, 2013, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Seriously doesn't this seem odd to you.
    Someone you have NEVER met is asking you to transfer 120 MILLION dollars to your bank account for safe keeping !!!

If this doesn't ring monstrous alarm bells then you deserve to be fleeced.
    Yes it does that's why I took the liberty to look into this and contact the pros. I have not proceeded in any manner and probably won't considering your professional opinion thank you
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 25, 2013, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepper10 View Post
    Yes it does thats why I took the liberty to look into this and contact the pros. I have not proceeded in any manner and probably wont considering your professional opinion thank you
    I get scam emails like this periodically (they want my bank account number to deposit millions of dollars). Why did you state this is from an "acquaintance"?

Jun 25, 2013, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I get scam emails like this periodically (they want my bank account number to deposit millions of dollars). Why did you state this is from an "acquaintance"?
    Have not met in person only communicated via email and other media sources. Have been talking back and forth since middle of May. This has just recently (couple days ago) been brought into the conversations
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 25, 2013, 08:46 AM
    This is a scam, for this transfer, they will need your bank account info, the contact for bank is all true expect for fax or telephone, some people create fake bank web sites just for this.

There is no money, what happens, they will either ask for fee at the time of transfer, or with your information, they merely empty your bank account out and your money is gone.

Or, you get a call from someone at Customs, saying you now owe a large fee or will go to jail, or something like that.

This is a classic scam,

You need to say, a person you don't know, contacted you by a bulk email and wanted to do this. That is what really happened.

Jun 25, 2013, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    This is a scam, for this transfer, they will need your bank account info, the contact for bank is all true expect for fax or telephone, some people create fake bank web sites just for this.

there is no money, what happens, they will either ask for fee at the time of transfer, or with your information, they merely empty your bank account out and your money is gone.

Or, you get a call from someone at Customs, saying you now owe a large fee or will go to jail, or something like that.

This is a classic scam,

you need to say, a person you don't know, contacted you by a bulk email and wanted to do this. That is what really happened.
    What if I were to challenge them and open a new account that has no money it
    Expert

Jun 25, 2013, 09:01 AM
    You have to open it with some money, then they ask for fee or use fake law enforcement,

There is no money, why do you wish to waste time and money on this.
    Expert

Jun 25, 2013, 09:03 AM
    If you want to spend the money, to open an account, pay the monthly fees, risk over draft charges, go ahead, we have told you the truth, a old saying

A fool and their money is soon parted

Jun 25, 2013, 09:08 AM
    I don't know. Thought if I could get my hands on millions, I would give a shot I respect your advise sounds like you are educated in this Thanks
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 25, 2013, 09:10 AM
    I dont know. Thought if I could get my hands on millions, I would give a shot I respect your advise sounds like you are educated in this Thanks
    There are no millions. The intention is to get YOUR money.

Jun 25, 2013, 09:18 AM
    Thanks my problem is I don't have any money that's why I was attracted to this to begin with
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 25, 2013, 09:19 AM
    Thanks my problem is I dont have any money thats why I was attracted to this to begin with
    That's the whole point of the scam, to appeal to our greed and financial needs.

Jun 25, 2013, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    if you want to spend the money, to open an account, pay the monthly fees, risk over draft charges, go ahead, we have told you the truth, a old saying

a fool and their money is soon parted
    Very well put

Jun 25, 2013, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    That's the whole point of the scam, to appeal to our greed and financial needs.
    Thanks you guys have conivinced me I trust your judgement I appreciate your responses and concerns for me Thank you very much

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transfer my money from a foreign country to US [ 9 Answers ]

I recently sold a house in a foreign country and paid local taxes on this transaction. I would like to transfer this money from my bank account in the foreign country to my US bank account. What are my legal obligations? Are there any forms I need to file? Will I need to pay US tax on this money?...

Money received in foreign country in foreign bank account [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, 1. If I receive money from my father as a gift in Indian in my Indian Bank Account,will it be considered as income and does it need to be reported to IRS as a taxable income?The amount is less than 30k USD. 2. Sometimes I send money to my parents account in India(I do not have...

Money transfer from foreign country to US [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, my dad is in foreign country and he would like to wire the money to me to buy a house. Can he wire the money to my account for purchasing a house? Will I be asked where and how the money com form? Can you please give me some advice? Thank you so much.

How do I transfer money from a foreign country [ 1 Answers ]

1. I am about to receive a gift for my two sons (2) and 5 yrs old, $50,000 each but the money is in a foreign Country. How should my relative transfer the funds, in increments less than $10,000? 2. Will they need to file and income tax return? Any other suggestions will be greatly...

View more questions Search