Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    farvaknowsbest Posts: 199, Reputation: 8

Jun 25, 2013, 06:55 AM
    Need product key for Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Hello,

Ok so I installed Windows 7 pro 64-bit on my laptop. I obtained Windows through an MSDN account I had through my school. My MSDN account is no longer active as I have graduated from the school. The problem I'm having is that I totally torched my Windows installation (don't ask me how). Anyway my only option is to re-install Windows. I had the license written down on a CD, but I can't seem to find it. I have used Produkey to try and extract the key from the drive, but the problem is that I have a volume license key which is not stored in the registry so Produkey will not find the key. My question is: is there any way to obtain the key without having to call Microsoft? The only thing I can think of is to call the MSDN admin at the school, and see if he can give it to me, but that's kind of a long shot.

Thanks in advance,

Farva.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 25, 2013, 06:57 AM
    Go through the phone activation route and explain the issue.
    I found them to be very helpful in cases like this.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2013, 06:58 AM
    How to Reveal Your Windows Product Key in All Current Versions of Windows

:D
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2013, 07:09 AM
    As I understand it, Product keys for software obtained through an MSDN account are only valid as long as the MSDN account is active.

Jun 25, 2013, 08:00 AM
    Thanks for everyone's quick responses to this. ScottGem I really hope that isn't true. I have a buddy that is using the same volume license key for his Windows installation, and he graduated at the same time as me, and his is still going strong. I don't think that is true, because it's the same license key for everyone, whether you still have the MSDN account or not.

NeeKarma I have tried the suggestions on the site with no luck. I currently have the drive in an external hard drive enclosure, and connected it to a working Win7 PC, and ran both Magic Jelly Bean and Produkey and they both return the same results. Since this is a volume license key the key is not stored in the registry so Produkey and Jellybean can't find it.

Curlyben I think I'll have to do what you suggested and just call Microsoft. I was trying to avoid that, but if it's my only option than so be it.

Wow I'm retarded. I totally just thought that I can get with my buddy that is using the same license key, and get if from him.. Jeeeez how did I not think of that before? Well thanks anyway for eveyone's help. Truly appreciated.

Jun 25, 2013, 08:24 AM
    As I understand it the key doesn't deactivate the software, but if you need to re-enter the key it will no longer work.

Jun 25, 2013, 08:28 AM
    Ah that makes sense... That would totally suck if that's the case. I have the OEM version of Windows that came with the laptop, but it is home premium, and I would like to have professional. Can you add home premium to a domain? That's really my only concern.

Jun 25, 2013, 08:32 AM
    No, I believe you need Pro to add it to a domain.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 25, 2013, 08:36 AM
    None of the home versions have domain functionality..

Jun 25, 2013, 08:38 AM
    Well that stinks. Oh well I guess I shouldn't have been dumb, and completely wiped out my MBR partition.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2013, 06:30 PM
    I believe that with Windows 7 VL editions, the key isn't enough. You need to have a KMS server. However, I have just been doing some reading, and it appears that Microsoft has VL activation centers. They might be able to give you a hand, especially if you can find the original product key.

https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/...ctivation.aspx

Microsoft Volume Licensing - Activation Centers

https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/...r/default.aspx

Jun 27, 2013, 10:53 AM
    Thanks for the info InfoJunkie! I will give that a shot when I get off work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get a product key for WinXP Pro SP2 [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a used computer it is a Compaq Evo, and it was running WinXP Pro SP2. I have to reintall the OS, and I can only get to the setup screen, then it asks for the disk, which I do not have. Any help would be deeply appreciated. Thank you, lewisr9845

Windows Vista Product Key [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I have never had many problems with Vista Home Premium before, but I reinstalled Windows and the computer/ OS won't take the product key. Any Ideas on how to fix this?

Dual booting setup of Win Vista Ultimate 64-bit and Win XP Pro 32-bit? [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have Windows Ultimate OEM 64-bit version installed. I have 2 hard drives on my system. My 160GB SATA hard drive has Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit installed and running very well. (C) I have a second hard drive (80GB IDE) on my system which has backup files. I would like to install...

View more questions Search