Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trackgirlee Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 06:06 PM
    gosh darn physics.
    physics... aka the class I want desperately to pass lol! A little help on this one problem would be very appreciated.

out of these two cars which occupants would sustain worst injuries when running into an array of fitch barriers (sand filled barrels on a highway)?
    car 1-mass=1200 kg, velocity=50 km/h, momentum=60,000 kg-km/h
    car 2-mass=1500 kg, velocity=40 km/h, momentum=60,000 kg-km/h

thanks a bunch =]
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Hi!

I believe that in order to work out the injuries of the occupants, you need to take into account the momentum of the passengers, rather than the momentum in the car.

I hope that makes the solution obvious now! :)
    k8card Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 06:25 PM
    Id say car one it`s just logic the lighter faster moving object with same momentum is going to creat more damage to the passangers than a heavyer slower moving object
    BrandonGT Posts: 34, Reputation: 14

Nov 11, 2010, 05:07 AM
    Yeah, cap's got it, the massive, slower moving car is going to impart less of it's force onto the occupants, aka, it will plow through the barriers. The lighter, faster car willl impart more force onto it's occupants. So both the speed and the mass is working against the occupants of the smaller car.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with physics! [ 2 Answers ]

Please help with this physics problem! a. A 50kg water skier is pulled on a lake by a boat with a horizontal force of 400N. If the wind and current applies another force of 100N at an angle of 30degrees relative to the straight-line direction of the boat, what is the skiers acceleration? B.)...

Darn Oxygen Sensor Removal [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. Trying to remove a Oxygen Sensor from a 95 Honda Civic. Is in a darn bad spot! Have about 6 inches max to maneuver... and cannot get darn thing loose (118,000 miles on car). Tried putting a little WD-40 type spray on end of sensor, but just cannot get any leverage, and am also afraid of...

Oh my gosh... [ 27 Answers ]

As some of you know, I just had a baby in April, and he will be a month old in 4 days. Well, I started having sex again a few days ago (a bit early maybe haha but oh well :rolleyes: ). Anyway my husband and I are not using protection, and I never really thought about it, because I figured I am...

Physics please help now [ 2 Answers ]

What is the average speed, if a person drives for 30.0 min at 80.0 km/h, 12.0 min at 100 km/h, and 45.0 min at 40.0 km.h and spends 15.0 min eating lunch and buying gas? The back of my textbook states that the answer is 52.9, but I don't know how to solve it!!

Gosh.. [ 3 Answers ]

There is this guy that I have had a major crush on since 7th grade. When I was in 8th grade... we had a thing... and broke it off... I still like him though... THEN.. he comes around again... we hang out a little... he even kissed me. It was great. (BUT we still aren't going out... because I......

View more questions Search