Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DIBYENDUBHADRA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2013, 11:42 PM
    Inherited land query
    We have ancsetral property in name of our grandmother. Since she is expired and father and his siblings inherit the same. My father now wants to register his part in his name.but since his brothers do not want the registry for the time being, we find no other to do the same. Please suggest us the way if we alone can register our part only. Secondly can we sell our part without registry? Please guide us the process.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 25, 2013, 02:54 AM
    If this is in India or nearby country, I and others who are regularly on this site don't know the laws there, which are very different from Europe, US, Canada, and Australia.
    I can't imagine how you can register a partial share of the land, much less sell it, without formally defining the actual boundaries of each share. That would mean hiring a surveyor, and it often means negotiating with each other to exchange areas that are not easy to partition into nice neat rectangles. It's a lot of work. Depending on how many siblings there are, you may find that the only feasible solution is to wait until all of you want to sell. And often the property is worth more as a whole anyway.
    Another approach is for one sibling to get a short term bank loan to buy the others out, and put it up for sale immediately, assuming that you know that it will sell quickly.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2013, 03:18 AM
    ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

Part of this depends on the wording of the will if there is one. The will might not allow a partition. But the only way to deal with his portion is to sue for a partition of the property. And that might not be allowed according to local laws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inherited land [ 3 Answers ]

My father and his 5 siblings inherited land when my grandmother passed away. The land was never divided among the six of them and he has been the only one paying the property taxes on all the land. Is there any way he can take sole ownership?

Sale of Inherited Land [ 1 Answers ]

My husband inherited 1/4 of undivided property when his mother passed in 2003. The property at the time was being used for farmland, in the middle of 1,000 of acres and is landlocked. The property was sold in 2009-land contract. The down portion amount was $7,100 (appx 275.00 closing/tax costs)....

Inherited Land [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My father died in 2001 & my mother & 6 siblings & myself inherited some land. My mother died in 2002 & the land was split between us 7 siblings. We inherited close to 15 acres each. The land had no houses, water or electric hookups. We sold the land in 2008. My question is do we have to...

How to get the deed to inherited land? [ 1 Answers ]

My Mother-in-law recently died & left some land to my husband in her will. The land is in another state in Rhode Island. We live in Florida. My mother-in-law was paying the taxes for her "lot" which she inherited. She also lived in Florida. Now my husband & I have to contact one of the sisters...

View more questions Search