Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skipper42 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2013, 10:35 PM
    Property Lien Forms Downloads
    Losing water rights?

I have a cottage next to mine and we share a well and pump. This has worked for over 30 years. The well and Pump are on their property but the costs and upkeep were shared. They have not kept up payments on their land and the bank will soon take the keys. Do I have any rights to the well and or the pump, with out which I have no water.
    Thank you.

skipper42
    skipper42 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2013, 10:46 PM
    Am I out of water?
    Losing water rights?

I have a cottage next to mine and we share a well and pump. This has worked for over 30 years. The well and Pump are on their property but the costs and upkeep were shared. They have not kept up payments on their land and the bank will soon take the keys. Do I have any rights to the well and or the pump, with out which I have no water.
    Thank you.

skipper42
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2013, 03:31 AM
    Is there an easement written into your deed? Is there anything in writing that enforces the arrangement?

If so, what you want is not a lien (though it could wind up that way). But you want to make sure your rights to the well are recorded as part of the deed. Then you can sue the property owner for their share.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2013, 04:47 AM
    Is thre anything written into the deed?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 25, 2013, 04:54 AM
    You need to tell us where you live too.

If no easement is on file with the town, you may be perceived as being a renter of the well only. If I were you, I would figure out a way to buy the property and quickly sell it, with an easement written in to the new deed.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 25, 2013, 04:55 AM
    If you have nothing in writing, you need to get something. Absent that, you should file sut against the current owner, and file a lis pendens.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 28, 2013, 08:26 AM
    The most important question isn't whether there is something written into YOUR deed. It must be written into the neighbor's deed. Having it in your deed alone would be ineffective against the neighbor.

The best thing would be if there is a separate written easement or agreement that is recorded against BOTH properties. Contact a title agency to have them run a search for an easement on the neighbor's property. It shouldn't be expensive.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 28, 2013, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    The most important question isn't whether there is something written into YOUR deed. It must be written into the neighbor's deed. Having it in your deed alone would be ineffective against the neighbor.

Unless OP's deed, containing such an easement, is from a common (common to both OP an the neighbor) grantor, and was recorded before the neighbor's deed.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 28, 2013, 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Unless OP's deed, containing such an easement, is from a common (common to both OP an the neighbor) grantor, and was recorded before the neighbor's deed.
    Unless that deed is more than 50 years old, in which case the OP will have to look to their title insurance company to get water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tap water smelling foul, found dead lizard water tank, we have been using same water [ 1 Answers ]

Tap water smelt foul in the house, the smell was faint and we kept using the water for a week for drinking, cooking and bathing. When the smell became discernible we got the water tank cleaned and found a dead garden lizard in it.Water tank cleaned with bleaching powder As yet feel no symptoms...

Have GE refrig; water leaks from smart water filter inside; get water;makes no ice? [ 0 Answers ]

Water does come out of the water dispenser with no problem. The Smart Water filter overflows INSIDE the refrigerator. No ice is being made. Heavy frost accumulates inside freezer from ice maker.

Have GE refrig; water leaks from smart water filter inside; get water;makes no ice [ 0 Answers ]

Water leaks inside refrig from one shelf to another; able to get water from water dispenser; no ice is being made; ice accumulates inside the freezer ice maker.

Daylight basement water leak, cause by broken water pipe or saturated ground water? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 units 3 stories with daylight basement apartment. Build in 1960. Just bought it few months ago. Last year the previous owner had a bad flood in the daylight basement after long period of rain. They cleaned out the area, remodel it. Good for few months, last couple of weeks rain long...

View more questions Search