Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shelleyhays79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2013, 10:59 PM
    My dog is drinking water but won't eat his same food he has always had what's wrong?
    I have a 4 yr old male dogue de bordeaux who has suddenly had a decrease in appetite and some days won't eat at all but will drink as much water as ill give him what could be wrong with him?it's the same food he has eaten for the last 2 years. Could my female dogs pregnancy have anything to do with it?
    shelleyhays79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2013, 11:03 PM
    Also he is still very active not lethargic and is an indoor pet.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2013, 11:55 AM
    Could be low grade pancreatitis, a virus or stomach bug... or it could just be too hot out...

If his spirits are good with good energy than just keep an eye on him... if you are overly concerned or this just keeps going, than a vet tech should be considered... but I'm fairly certain its not because his mate is pregnant.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2013, 11:56 AM
    Vet check... not tech.. Sorry
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2013, 08:53 PM
    If he doesn't eat for another day try him on a new bag of his regular food. He could be sensing there is something not quite right with the bag you have. I had a dog that absolutely refused to eat the same food she'd eaten for 6 years. It was a brand new bag of food so I couldn't figure it out. She'd rather go and eat voles and mice in the fields. A friend of mine said "Throw the food out and buy a new bag! She knows something is wrong with her food." I bought a new bag and she ate ravenously. It turned out that when I smelled her food it smelled like an antiseptic soap or something similar. I took it to the vet and they determined that it was a soap the vets use for washing their floors. I had bought the food just before I moved from my regular vet. It had been set aside for me as it was the last bag. After some investigation we realized it had been put on the floor behind the door in the treatment room. One of the teens that helped out in the practice for school credits had washed the floor with a very wet mop and it had permeated into the bag and the food inside it. The food at the top of the bag was fine, which explained why she had eaten the food for the first little while, but she soon got to the part that had soaked up the cleanser so she stopped eating. It was a difficult lesson for the teen responsible but also for me. I have learned to go with my gut and I now know that if one of my dogs refuses to eat my first course of action would be to try another bag of her favourite food first.

Practically speaking, if a dog goes off their food for a day there is usually no cause for concern. However, if it goes beyond two days it is imperative that you take your pet in for evaluation.

Hope this helps...

Hugs, Didi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is drinking water but won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

My dog threw up once a lot and now he won't eat, he is drinking water now but only after I made him drink gator aid with a syringe now he is drinking water but hasn't eaten in 3 days what could be wrong? He is an outside dog with plenty of shade and water, also a covered porch but he prefers to...

What is wrong with a dog that won't eat and is drinking a lot of water and losing a lot [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is not eating and is losing a lot of weight and drinking a lot of water. What could be wrong with him

My dog is drinking water but won't eat? [ 2 Answers ]

Me dog is drinking water but won't eat what could be wrong?

My dog won't eat his food [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Rhodesian/Lab he's 13 months. I did the mistake mixing some table food with his dry food. Now he won't touch anything regardless of what I put in front of him. He snubs it. He's not lethargic, he's very active, his bowels are normal, he drinks plenty. How do correct this? Or should he see...

View more questions Search