Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sandybeaches Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2013, 04:40 PM
    Removing a sibling from Mother's house who is not paying bills
    My 55yr old brother has been living with my Mom for over 5 years and has paid NOTHING! He's also maxed out one of her credit cards & doesn't make the payments on that either. She now lives in a nursing home & needs every penny. How do I (her P.O.A.) remove him from the home so I can prepare to sell it? There is no lease, just a mom helping out a son who took advantage of her. (I live in Florida.)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 23, 2013, 04:43 PM
    Since you have POA give him a notice to vacate with a 15 day deadline. If he fails to vacate. File for an eviction order.

However, if you are trying to sell, it may be easier to sell with him there.

As for the credit cards, if you can prove he used them, you may be able to sue him for the money.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 23, 2013, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Since you have POA give him a notice to vacate with a 15 day deadline. If he fails to vacate. file for an eviction order.

However, if you are trying to sell, it may be easier to sell with him there.

As for the credit cards, if you can prove he used them, you may be able to sue him for the money.
    I don't believe OP can do those things with a POA. Probably needs to be appointed Mom's guardian.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm paying our house utility bills,not my sister. [ 6 Answers ]

Living in our family house after mom passed away,I'm paying all the bills,can I buy our house and pay out their shares towards them? What's my legal rights as I am the youngest sister,last to get married.

Can I get help paying medical bills if injured while volunteering at a haunted house? [ 15 Answers ]

I worked at a haunted house in Oregon. Over 200 of us, mostly teenagers (I'm in my 40's), had to sign some kind of liability waiver. Unfortunately, while acting, I got injured. My knee tendon sheared right off the bone during a recommended type of gesticulation. Bummer is, it was my "good" knee....

My step son does not follow house rules and does not help paying the rent or bills [ 2 Answers ]

After my husband was ask to vacate the house on 08/09 by the court following a domestic violence , my step son who is 23 years became hostile toward me in the house, disrespectful and arrogant. I gave him a 30 day notice to vacate on October 2009. Following that I went to the court to ask an...

Removing my mother off a house deed [ 7 Answers ]

15 years ago I bought a house. At that time I required my mother to co-sign for me because my income and credit history were not sufficient to merit me getting the house alone. Now my mother is in a lot of financial trouble and could face bankruptsy (due to getting over extended in real estate...

Legally removing a sibling from home [ 2 Answers ]

My son recently returned home after 2.5 years away and needed a 2nd chance. After 9 weeks he has not done anything we asked and we need to have him move out. He is 29 and has no apparent desire to look for Legitimate job. When we ask him to move... he just stays. What are the options?

View more questions Search