Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    753 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2013, 11:50 AM
    Rotten egg smell
    We have a smell of rotten eggs inside the backdoor of house. Yesterday the smell also started coming up from downstairs kitchen sink and then upstairs bathroom sink.
    We tried pouring some caustic soda down the drain outside kitchen window and the smell seems to have stopped from the sinks. It abated somewhat in the backdoor but is still present.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 23, 2013, 11:58 AM
    Sounds like you have a sewer gas issue. Lack of vents, plugged vents, or even a partially blocked sewer or septic issues can cause this. Sewer gas smells can be one of the toughest things to locate. You may need to get a competent plumber in there to look the system over and start trouble shooting to locate the source of the smell. Please let us know what you find.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 23, 2013, 12:33 PM
    Welcome to The Plumbing Page at AMHD.com.
    When you flush or drain do any of the fixtures bubble or gurgle?
    Does the kitchen sink make a noise when the washer drains?
    Can you furnish more details?
    Back to you, Tom
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Jun 24, 2013, 05:33 AM
    One simple thing you can try - as soon as the odor is present, find the indoor ( or outdoor) cleanout plug and remove it, carefully take a whiff and see if the smell matches the odor you have in the house. I've been on scores of perported sewer gas service calls, and a lot of the time the odor is from another source...
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 24, 2013, 06:48 AM
    Hey Mike,
    I've been on scores of perported sewer gas service calls, and a lot of the time the odor is from another source...
    and that source would be?
    Back to you, Tom

Jun 24, 2013, 08:28 AM
    Tom:
    Dead mice, nesting birds, rats, chipmunks, squirrels, snakes, bats, or even larger animals that have died in a wall cavity, attic etc.. Decaying flesh has an odor very similar to septic / sewer gas. I have traced odors to outdoor generator batteries, & batteries ( car & small equipment )in garages and sheds adjacent to, or attached to the house. Batteries can produce a similar hydrogen based odor often found in idle, energized electric water heaters.
    Pool chemicals that are carelessly stored in or near living space can react with other nearby materials, and produce a rotten egg type odor. Stored fertilizer, dried bagged manure, livestock & pet food.
    Mold, mildew, seasonal subterranean water, and sump pump pits. Forgotten, stored, home canned / jared food with failed seals. Abandoned dishwashers, humidifyers, freezers & refrigerators with leftover food left festering, and freezer, refrigerator, and icemaker bins & condensate trays.
    Unburried pet caskets, shallow pet graves, kennels, pet carriers, pet cages, poorly maintained fish tanks, live bait tanks... I've traced alleged septic odors to all of these things during my career, and have actually found rotten eggs many times...

I forgot about these two more recent sources of offensive odors - a small natural gas leak, and a grease filled duct connected to a cooking line exhaust fan...
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 24, 2013, 03:27 PM
    Verry good Mike, but along with a small natural gas leak, and a grease filled duct connected to a cooking line exhaust fan.. You also forgot sulfur water which can beat any smell you have up there for rotten eggs. So, are you saying that they should look elsewhere?
    That perhaps is not a plumbing problem? Or are you just giving them other options? Regards Tom
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 24, 2013, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    That perhaps is not a plumbing problem? Or are you just giving them other options? Regards Tom
    Doesn't the gas company add a sulphur smell so that a leak can be noticed and found?
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 24, 2013, 04:12 PM
    Hey WG.
    Doesn't the gas company add a sulphur smell so that a leak can be noticed and found?
    they add something but I can tell you this from experience. Nothing! But nothing smelled like rotten eggs like sulfur water. If you have ever smelled it you will know exactly what I mean. Cheers Tom

Jun 24, 2013, 04:25 PM
    Mercaptan, a chemical that contains sulfur, is added to natural gas.

Jun 24, 2013, 04:44 PM
    Yes, Tom, while decaying organic matter in a septic tank causes a " rotten egg " odor, there are plenty of other suspects, and until the source of the odor is found, all should be considered.
    You & I could easily check all the obvious, accessible drain, waste, and vent connections to eliminate them as a source of the odor; it may not be that easy for the average home owner.
    753 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2013, 07:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    Sounds like you have a sewer gas issue. Lack of vents, plugged vents, or even a partially blocked sewer or septic issues can cause this. Sewer gas smells can be one of the toughest things to locate. You may need to get a compitent plumber in there to look the system over and start trouble shooting to locate the source of the smell. Please let us know what you find.
    Many thanks for all of your helpful replies. Much appreciated.
    The next day the smell seemed to disappear altogether. The following day however we learned that our nextdoor neighbour (semi-detached) had lifted his manhole cover and found it was completely full of water.
    Our neighbour called Thames Water who are apparently in charge of the local sewers. They sent two very helpful plumbers who checked our manhole cover and that of the property on the farside of neighbour ( there is a lot of drain sharing ). Thankfully both were clear.
    They then arranged for some sort of hose-pump to clear our neighbour's blockage. It seemed they were there for a couple of hours.

The plumbers confirmed that the rotten egg smell would indeed have been sewer gas and explained that it was potentially harmful. They strongly recommended that if we ever encountered it we should contact professionals like themselves to investigate rather than attempt to deal with ourselves.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rotten egg smell [ 2 Answers ]

Today we noticed the drain our washer empties into was backing up. My husband poured drain cleaning into it but it did not help much, after about 8 hours he repeated the same procedure, shortly after I notice a fowl smell like rotten eggs emitting throughout my house is this cause for concern?

Rotten egg smell [ 3 Answers ]

I live in an highrise apartment unit. I have a terrible sewer smell in my bathroom. After letting the water run for a while I think it is coming from the bathtub drain. The drains is not clogged up and the water is running out very well. I have tried the bleach - hot water thing, taking a bented...

Rotten egg smell [ 3 Answers ]

I have well water with a rotten egg smell, from what I am told it could be the anode rod in the hot water heater. I don't have a hot water heater, we have a hot water boiler that is used to heat the house and the potable water, also is the water dangerous due to the smell.

Rotten Egg Smell [ 1 Answers ]

I lived in a brand new home, on city water for one year and everything was fine. We moved out and the house is now empty and up for sale. It has been empty for five months. Sometime during these five months a rotten egg smell has developed when the water is turned on. At first we thought it was...

View more questions Search