Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    consernd buyer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2013, 07:29 PM
    Lien may be placed on home before completion of contract. What do I do?
    Myself and another party are purchasing a home on land contract , and we just found our a lien may soon be placed on the property . The contract has already been through the court and we have paid the down payment and 4 months of the agreed monthly payments. The lien was not ineffect when contract was signed. My question is what do I do if this lien goes on? Also if the home is sheriffed sold because of lien are we entitled to the moneys we've paid. Or at least the down payment? The lien is in sellers name. Thank you.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 22, 2013, 07:38 PM
    It depends on the type of lien that's being placed on the property. If it is a judgment against the seller and not a mortgage foreclosure then they cannot force a sale of the property.

As for getting your money back if there was a forced sale, most likely you would be entitled to be paid first since your contract was recorded before the lien. But that's not definite without knowing more about the situation.

Tell us more about the type of lien and we can give you a better answer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2013, 07:46 PM
    First where are you at, since a contact does not "go though the court" to be signed, unless the house is in bankruptcy perhaps.

Next, you do not normally own the home, but was the contact filed against the deed, showing your interest in it ?

But what type of debt makes a difference, if this is just a loan, and they have a judgement, and this is a lien, then it merely needs to be paid off prior to you completion of the contrat, but this may be a issue if the owner can not pay off this and any loan on house.

So are you suppose to get your down payment back, yes, but can you, if the person has no money, no, you can not ever take ownership of home, till lien paid off
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 22, 2013, 07:53 PM
    It is also a matter of lien priority. If OP recorded their contract, it's possible that, if and when a lien is filed, it would not be effective against OP and OP's co-buyer.

It would be a good idea to consult an attorney in the jurisdiction to be sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help calculate completion of % contract [ 0 Answers ]

C limited is a firm of building contractors, the information provided relates to their uncompleted contracts on 31 December 2010. Contract A B C D Date contract commenced 1/1/2010 1/2/2010 1/1/2010 1/10/2010 Expected completion date 30/4/2011 30/3/2011 31/1/2011 31/3/2012 Cost of work to Dec...

Completed-contract vs percentage-of-completion method for accounting [ 1 Answers ]

Two accounting students were discussing the alternative methods of accounting for long-term construction contracts. The discussion focused on which method was most like the typical revenue recognition method of recognizing revenue at point of product delivery. Bill argued that the completed...

Percentage of completion and completed contract method [ 1 Answers ]

Instructions: The Cloudy Sky Construction Company specializes in large construction projects. In year 1, it entered into a 3 year construction project to build a slow curing bridge foundation at a total price of $6,375,000. At the conclusion of the project, the following information was...

Lien on a home we were going to purchased through deed for contract [ 4 Answers ]

We put a down payment on a home to purchase through deed for contract and the people backed out of it.We went to court over it twice and won both times and had to put a lien on the house because they spent the money.We had their checking account garnished for one payment before they closed that.I...

Compute income for percentage-of-completion &completed contract method [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find the income that should be recognized each year using the percentage-of-completion method and the completed contract method for 2006,2007,2008,cost incurred durning the year 2006 $8,00 2007 $16,600 2008 $15,900 Estimated costs to complete 2006 $32,00 2007 $16.400 2008 $0...

View more questions Search