Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Xx_sTuArT_xX Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 03:30 PM
    How to take ownership of a folder in Windows XP
    Well this is what happen one day when I was trying to start my comptuer had a error saying
    "Windows cannot start because the follwoing file is missing or corrupted" I tried to repair but but did not repair so I reinstalled windows

When windows was reinstalled I tried to open the file in which I had all my documents and all but when I try to open it it does not open. Getting someone kind of error like "Acces Denied" I read peoples article but they mention a lot about Security tab and I am not able to find it on my computer.

Right now I have one user on this computer so hopefully it can work from that but I don't know

I am hopping if someone could help me out
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 24, 2007, 03:49 PM
    Try THIS
    Qwazi Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Mar 24, 2007, 05:03 PM
    You obvioiusly did a parallel installation instead of wiping the drive. This is bad! You now have 2 installations of windows on the same hard drive. The my documents folder you are trying to open is in the old installation.

You said you tried to repair it. How? Did you use repair console or did you do a 2nd repair? If you did the second repair and it didn't work, you need to go into the repair console and run chkdsk /R. Then try to do the second repair again.

At this point, you have such a mess, you need to get your data off the system and do a clean install - wipe the drive.

Mar 24, 2007, 07:48 PM
    Well once I was done the installation I deleted the old windows so I just have one windows running instead of two which your saying but I got files from both windows but can not open from the old one but I will try to do what Curlyben said any post what happens

Mar 25, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Thanks a lot Curlyben it worked I got my files back thanks again for your help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't open windows XP desktop folder [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My father had a motherboard failure on his computer. He decided to get a new computer. But there is a folder on the desktop of his old computer called PICTURES that he wants to access. I installed his old HD into the new computer as a second HD. I am able to access the DOCUMENTS...

Transfer of Ownership [ 1 Answers ]

My mother recently became unable to care for her home. She refinanced it and asked me to move in. She is now living with my sister. I am paying the loan even though it's in her name. She has asked me to get information about transferring the ownership. She would like the house to be in...

Proof of ownership [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I built a new house 6 years ago; we received a certificate of occupancy from our township . Do we need a title for the house or the COO is enough proof of the ownership?

Strange files beginning $ in Windows folder [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone explain why all of a sudden I have about 50 or so hidden files starting $MSI31 uninstall_etc , &NTServicePackUninstall$, $UninstallKB824146$, etc etc and also about 30 Windows Media profile files starting WMPrffor(etc).prx located in my Windows folder. I know they're hidden files but I...

Windows XP Folder and Search Box Problem [ 1 Answers ]

I am at my wits end with this. I am running windows XP and when I try to open any folder on my computer a search box automatically pops up and the name of the folder such as My Music will be in the search box Look In: field. To get the information I have stored in any of my folders I have to do a...

View more questions Search