Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jobuck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 03:12 PM
    12.5hp I/C Briggs&Stratton engine
    I went to start my riding mower for the first time this year and when it started is smoked real bad. I turned it off and checked the oil, it was over filled. I went to drain the oil and discovered it had gas in the oil. It ran fine last year, but I didn't drain the gas out at the end of the season. What could be the problem?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 24, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Your carb needle valve has been leaking/dripping all winter. Shut of the fuel line. Drain the gas/oil as completely as you can, even tip the unit to the side to get more out. Fill with cheap oil and crank it or start it for a moment. Drain this oil out and add new good oil. The float and needle valve need to be disassembled and inspected. Repair or replace what you can. The float is bad if you can hear any sloshing inside or it doesn't completely float in gas. Same thing happened to my pressure washer last week. Couldn't do the carb work so now I just shut off the fuel after every use.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Good Answer, But Why Couldn't You Do The Carb Work??
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 6, 2007, 06:36 PM
    It was my washer and no one was paying me to fix my own stuff. I stayed on the job to make money. I did recently do the carb work. Time is money for me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20 hp Briggs and Stratton engine won't start -TroyBilt mower [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Troy Bilt riding mower and it won't start. The battery has been checked. I think it's the starter. Anyone know how to change the starter?

I can't pull the starter cord on my 10hp Briggs and Stratton Engine [ 6 Answers ]

I recently purchased a two year old 10 hp Troy Built wood chipper. I've used it for about 4-5 hours and recently had to add a little oil. I added the correct type as per the manufacturers instructions. It started up just fine and after 15 minutes or so I shut it off to empty the bag. Once the...

Briggs & Stratton 14.5hp OHV - Won't Run [ 8 Answers ]

I have a yard machine mower that was running great. It shut off in the middle of cutting and that was that. If I pour gas in the carb it tries to start, so I know I have fire. I have plenty of gas going to the carb and the solenoid on the bottom is working fine. I had the carb off, took the main...

B&S 18.5hp Engine Failure... Warranty Rejected [ 4 Answers ]

Sixteen months ago I purchased a Poulan Pro 42" riding mower with a 18.5 Briggs and Stratton engine. The connecting rod snapped at 170 hours. Service center claims no warranty due to "improper maintenance". Technician claims intake tube from air filter to carb dirty causing oil contamination. I...

Briggs&Stratton engine 121602 [ 3 Answers ]

OK, Dh and I are havig a slight disgreement about the mower. It is a Murray, sold under the Scotts brand in 2000, with a briggs and stratton 6.5 hp engine number 121602. Now, a cable broke, the one from the handle that kills it when you let go, and it sat outside for a month while we got the...

View more questions Search