Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nindzha Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Mar 24, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Askmehelpdesk ;)
    I am wondering what positive aspects do you see in this forum? And what makes you open the Internet explorer every day to visit this site?

When I asked myself this question, it was all silence at first.
    I said hmmm why?
    First thing that it poped to my head due to my low selfconfidence was
    Do I seek attention? Nah, I have no need for that. I am pieces for gods will, we are quiet people.
    Is it killing free time? Nah I can be entertained in better ways than this.
    Is it an inside wish to really, really help people? Nah I don't like people that much ;)

What I truly and sincerely think, that the reason why almost everyday I visit askmehelpdesk is communication, I like meeting new people, I like the variety, different perceptions, thinking, characters if you like. That makes it interseting.
    What I miss here are debates about different topics. I try to open one once in a while. But I would like to invite you to do the same. What do you think?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2007, 04:04 PM
    The foremost goal of this site is to be a repository of answers... so providing room for debates for debates sake is not really what we're designed for. There are lots of sites out there that cater to that.

... that being said, though, we do have this Member Discussions board where almost anything goes.

What would you like to debate? :)

Mar 25, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Wow this was a punch in the nose :) just kidding; I get it.
    louie1 Posts: 183, Reputation: 49

Mar 25, 2007, 02:08 PM
    I enjoy helping others from my own experience - I only joined this week and have already recommended others to join and they get the enjoyment. Sometimes people like to ask in partial people to their life for advice this is a great site to achieve that. Also you get views that your nearest and dearest wouldn't dare say to your face.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2007, 02:19 PM
    I am always open to a good debate. But, as RickJ states, this is a web site with a primary purpose to answer questions.

But, Nindzha, to answer your question about what are the positive aspects to this forum and why do I open the browser every day to visit this site:

Positive aspects:
    1. I believe there are some very knowledgeable people here that are willing to donate their time to help others in need.
    2. There is some very useful advice to be found.
    3. It is an easy site to navigate.

Reasons I open the browser every day,. :
    1. I enjoy donating my time to answer questions about things that I am knowledgeable about.
    2. I like seeing if I have made a positive impact in someone's life with one of my answers. When they say "thank you" and seem happy with the response, it starts my day on a positive note.
    3. I like the regulars that I have been meeting here. Besides being very knowledgeable, there are some very nice and fun people here who are more than happy to aid me in making a fool of myself from time to time.
    4. It is snowing outside.
    5. I am avoiding paying my bills.
    6. I am avoiding cleaning my house.
    7. There is an ice storm raging outside.
    8. I am secretly in love with RickJ and keep hoping he will notice me and we will waltz away into the sunset together.
    9. I keep hoping someone who has money and power will recognize my genius and I will be discovered as the new age "Dear Abby" (an advice columnist well known in the U.S.).

Mar 25, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Ruby, I presume this is your name?
    Why aren't u paying your bills :(, are you a lazy person? Oh and I think Ricky :) is married and has a bunch of children. Lol

U seem like a nice warm person. Cheers
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2007, 02:48 PM
    I know he is married with a whole brood of kids. But one can always dream, can't one?

Yes, I am a lazy person. I am cheap too. Don't like to write out checks and see my bank account drained.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 25, 2007, 02:50 PM
    I like to log on to find out how many people still rely on Micro$oft for all their online needs ;)
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Well, if you are doing a head count CB, I am not one of them. Although I am still in the stone age when it comes to Internet access.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 25, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Hmmm wouldn't be too sure about that Ruby.
    AOL's browser is based on Internet Unexplorable.
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Okay, if you say so. I believe all 'puterheads. My knowledge is limited.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nindzha
    And what makes u open the Internet explorer every day to visit this site?
    Hello nindzha:

1) I'm waiting to be discovered
    2) I love seeing my name in print
    3) I wonder how many chicks have fallen in love with me overnight
    4) I wonder who didn't like my last wiseacre comment
    5) I look forward to arguing with somebody
    6) I like talking to my friends
    7) I love exhibiting my broad and extensive knowledge
    8) I like to help people
    9) I like to learn new things
    10) I love to make people laugh
    11) I wonder if this site is going to get me laid

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    11) I wonder if this site is gonna get me laid
    How long have you been working these boards excon? If it has been a while and you haven't found any action yet, I would say it is a safe bet of... probably not.

But hey, I don't want to sound like a gloom and doom kind of pittie bull. Never give up hope! Never give up your dreams! Maybe one day you will be able to connect with that meaningful, "quick slap and a tickle" you so long for. I, for one, will keep rooting for you. And, if I find a possibility for you, I will definitely steer them your way. Are you into men or women? Let me know. I always hate to see anyone I like left alone in the sad sea of wondering.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 08:34 AM
    Hoo boy, haven't see the figure for members for a while, but I am sure its huge. I don't know about the rest. I love dogs and I came here to help them by sharing with their owners, what I have learned in my years as volunteer for a dog guide school. At first I was seeing a lot of questions in the home and auto maintenance areas that I could give better answers than I was seeing. More recently in many of the areas, I defer to newer people that are giving better answers than I could. If I tried to name all the good ones, I would forget somebody. Unfortunately there always seems to be those knowing less than me that don't follow suit. It is scary that some of them claim to be making their living in an area they don't know the basics. I recently came to realize that we are going to have the same loud mouthed, know it alls here as elsewhere. Many of them share their extensive lack of knowledge in many forums.

I am sure some people are here to promote products they are selling. I am absolutely convinced some of the nonsense about dog chows comes from those selling more expensive diets. I occasionally see posts I am sure come from professionals trying to discourage any DIY work. I laugh every time my spell check suggests DIE for DIY. Of course there are times when somebody needs to be told not to mess something.

There are those that must lack anything useful to do. Some endlessly debate topics that are never going to change anybody's mind. They are harmless and I can ignore them. Not so those that Google up an answer they don't know enough to tell if it is dangerous within minutes of a question being posted. All the worse if they paste it in without giving their source.

As for opening IE, forget it. I am running Foxfire under Mandrake. My computer runs 24/7 and by avoiding Macrocrap software, I don't have to shut down one application to free resources for another. The old AK6 chip handles it all.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2007, 08:53 AM
    I came looking for answers to a dog question and a travel question. But truthfully I stumbled on AMHD on accident. I stayed because of the people that I met. Helping people makes me feel good, and carrying on conversations with people from all over is so much fun. I have learned far more from AMHD than just the answers to my original questions. AMHD has made me open my eyes to problems that I rarely thought about and made me look at things in new ways. I might not agree with every opinion stated, but I like reading them.
    rol Posts: 804, Reputation: 162

Mar 26, 2007, 09:18 AM
    This site just happened to appear one day on my browser, it was weird how I got here.
    At the time I was in the middle of a confusing situation with my ex and this site helped me to see the light!! It was like it was a sign that it was sent to me!
    It's a fantastic site , I just usually read the relationships part though, and I have learned so much since coming here and I'm glad I'm also able to help.

Mar 26, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuscany
    AMHD has made me open my eyes to problems that I rarely thought about and made me look at things in new ways.

Quote Originally Posted by rol
    Its a fantastic site , i just usually read the relationships part though, and i have learned so much since coming here and im glad im also able to help.

Yeah I agree it's a site that can also teach you a lot of things about yourself...
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2007, 08:53 PM
    My doctors told me to have some contact with the outside world, even if it is over the wire, and not to worry, since no one can breath on me that way.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2007, 04:11 AM
    We are here to give you whatever help you need. So look through the members discussion for things you are interested in, or bring up things you are. Look at the Lounge and the Looney bin.
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2007, 04:15 AM
    magprob, yes, I think you should stop by the Looney bin on occasion. Just a quick question regarding your signature --

"I cook and eat my dead"

If you are talking about people, do they taste a little like chicken?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's Wrong with AskMeHelpDesk? [ 15 Answers ]

Many people don't find this site too useful for a reason. People want their most difficult automotive problems solved for free, but most don't give any feedback whatsoever to the problem solver. It's difficult to solve complex problems for someone else without their interaction. It's a two-way...

AskMeHelpDesk Clocks are slow [ 6 Answers ]

According to Greenwhich, http://wwp.greenwich2000.com/ , the official time is listed there, updated every second. However, when compared to the clocks at AskMeHelpDesk, I notice that AskMeHelpDesk's clocks are 6 minutes slow.

View more questions Search