Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kynge Rycharde Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2013, 05:30 PM
    Probability of repeated sequences
    Suppose I flip a fair coin four times, and the result is HTHT. What is the probability that the following four flips will also result in HTHT? Would it be 1/16,
    (1/16)^2, or 1/(2^8)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 23, 2013, 04:11 PM
    The answer is none of the above. Since you don't really care what the first four flips are, and just need to match the last four flips in precise sequence to the first four, here's how to think it through:

For the first of the "matching flips" (flip 5 in your example), you win if it's a head - the probability of that happening is 1/2. For the next flip you win if it's tails, which again has a probability of 1/2. So the probability of getting both a heads on the first flip and a tails on the second is (1/2) x (1/2) = (1/2)^2. Now consider the third flip - you must get a heads to win, which has probability of 1/2. So the odds of matching the first three is (1/2)^3. I/m sure by now it's pretty clear what the odds are of matching all four.

Another way to do this is to write out all possible combinations of four flips in a row - there are (1/2)^4 = 16 possible combinations. And since only one precisely matches HTHT the odds of getting HTHT is 1/16. Note that if the first four flips had been something else - say HHHT - there is again only one sequence of four flips that matches that as well. So you see it doesn't matter what the first four flips are - all that matters is that there is one out sixteen ways to match whatever they were.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sequences [ 2 Answers ]

Seeing repeated numbers... [ 5 Answers ]

I do not know where to begin... a few months ago, I decided to meditate. I also changed my diet, removed myself from negativity (news, people, etc). My goal was to become more spiritually grounded with the Universe. In the midst of this transformation, many things leaves me dazed, confused and...

Probability of gender sequences [ 2 Answers ]

If a couple has four boys and four girls, how many different gender sequences are possible?:confused:

Repeated periods [ 1 Answers ]

My periods ended just 6 days back n I am down again.is it normal to have repeated periods? Or is there some problem?

Sequences [ 1 Answers ]

I need to determine a sequence or maybe a series for the depreication of a new car, it depreciates by 20% in its first year, each succeeding year it depreciates by 10%. Assume the car is still in good working condition after 10 years. If the car cost $25000, calculate the value of the car after...

View more questions Search