Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kh8110 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2013, 02:25 PM
    Can I sign over my paid home to my father when I am sole owner
    Me and my commonlaw husband of ten years bought an acreage together. We separated three years ago and have been trying to sell it since. Two years ago I was in a relationship with a man who died from cancer a year after we were together. In his will he gave me his home which was totally paid for. Now I am living in that home and struggling to pay the mortgage on the other home. My ex is not paying any of the mortgage or bills of that acreage yet still wants his half of the money when it sells. At this point it is listed for just what we owe the bank and the realtor and lawyer fee.
    This is my problem. I can no longer afford the mortgage payments on this property and he will not help me. I asked the bank if I could pass this property back to them and they said they would then take what I owed from that property from the one I now separately own. How does this happen. I have been totally responsible for the acreage payments cause my x doesn't have a bank account to gaurnashee nor does he keep a job longer than a month or two. What are my options here. I am going to be totally responsible for a property that is in both our names! He is laughing all the way cause he has to sign when we sell but he isn't responsible for any of the costs. I am caught and don't know what to do! My friend that left me his home wanted me to have that for my old age as I am somewhat disabled yet I could loose half of that to my ex!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2013, 02:39 PM
    Where are you in the divorce process?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 21, 2013, 03:14 PM
    If you own a home with no mortgage then the lender who holds the mortgage on your other property cannot "take" the money you owe from this home. All they can do is sue you and get a judgment. That judgment will act as a lien against the property you own and live in and when you try to sell or finance the property then the lender will have to be paid.

However if you sell the acreage and pay off the lender then they will have no claims against you. Your ex will not be entitled to any money from the acreage if you don't sell it for more than the amount of the loan. If you can sell it for more than the amount of the loan then your ex would be entitled to half that amount minus the costs of the property that you paid on his behalf.

So keep trying to sell the acreage for at least enough to cover paying off the loan.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2013, 03:28 PM
    Lisa, she refers to the "other person" as her common law husband and states that they separated 3 years ago. If they are common law, don't they need a divorce before anyone disposes of anything?
    Expert

Jun 21, 2013, 03:37 PM
    From my understanding, no. And as long as both of them sign the deed transferring the property there should be no legal process required.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 21, 2013, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    If you own a home with no mortgage then the lender who holds the mortgage on your other property cannot "take" the money you owe from this home. All they can do is sue you and get a judgment. ...
    Unless the mortgage contains a "dragnet clause".

No one has yet answered the question contained in the title ("Can I sign over my paid home to my father when I am sole owner" [?]). I believe OP can, but such a transfer might be subject to being set aside, as a "fraud on creditors".
    Expert

Jun 21, 2013, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Unless the mortgage contains a "dragnet clause".

No one has yet answered the question contained in the title ("Can I sign over my paid home to my father when I am sole owner" [?]). I believe OP can, but such a transfer might be subject to being set aside, as a "fraud on creditors".
    A dragnet clause, which is typically used in commercial loans rather than residential loans, does not apply here. The property the OP is asking about is unencumbered. The dragnet clause only applies to property that has been secured by a mortgage. It secures any loans the mortgagor may have with that lender and not just the loan for the subject property.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 21, 2013, 07:07 PM
    What agreement did you have with the ex on this property? Was there an agreement for him to share the costs? Did he put anything towards the purchase at all? Can you provide and accounting of all the monies paid towards the upkeep?

If you can, you can file suit against him for his share. You may not be able to collect, but at least you can shut him up. As Lisa said, If you sell the property For just what's owed, there is no money for anyone to take.

As far as transferring the other property to someone else. That's going to be considered a sale and there may be tax consequences from that. Plus, you need to implicitly trust whoever you give the property to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

There is home that the owner has promised to sign over after the taxes are paid. [ 2 Answers ]

The home is in foreclosure, but the bank csnnot move forward due to errors on the Bank's end. The house was inhabitable at the time the agreement was made between the two parties. There was no water and rodents, feces, urine and trash were everywhere! This is an oral contract, with the second...

I am the sole owner of a house I purchased and want to kick a roommate out [ 6 Answers ]

There is no lease agreement, I live in Ohio, I moved him in to help me pay my mortgage. Recently had an altercation that has deeply affected our relationship as friends. Pays rent on time. He has never signed anything and pays rent in cash. I still care about his well being, but can no longer...

If two people own a home can one owner charge the other owner rent [ 1 Answers ]

If two people qwn one home can the other owner charge rent

How do I file for sole custody of my son and his dad wants to sign rights over? [ 14 Answers ]

My son is now 4 yrs old and he hasn't seen or spoken to his father in a year and a half. His father agreed to sign his parental rights over to me. How do I file for sole custody?

Sign sole custody over to my kids father because I was in a abusive marriage and gett [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I let the father of my kids take them until I got out of a abusive marriage and to keep them safe. I finally got away and fled to Wisconsin. But then I still had legal custody over my kids. Some how he got me to sign a paper where he has sole and I have them on the weekends. Ive been back to...

View more questions Search