Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zea Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Jun 22, 2013, 11:06 AM
    "Wow - well, if alcohol prevents Alzheimers my "ex" will live to be about 999 years old."

Yes, but it does not prevent it. “Research has shown an association between drinking alcohol in moderation and having a lower risk for developing Alzheimer's disease.” This is from the website WG found.

I know its miss leading because of the BOOK title "Alzheimer's Prevention Program". (I am talking about the book not the website, but they are the same).
    It's weird that that title says "Prevention" because when you read the book though, you will see that you can only slow Alzheimer's symptoms but never prevent it from happening.

Alzheimer's disease cannot be prevented yet.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2013, 11:34 AM
    I know, I was joking. Next time I do that, I'll explain in advance.

Jun 22, 2013, 12:53 PM
    Yeah, I know you were joking, kind of. First you were like "if (alcohol prevents Alzheimers…)"... and I said "yes,"... I agreed with you (or understood what you said)... later I said "but"... And after that I explained all that because when you said "Sounds rather odd to me,” which made me think about the book title and the contents of the book itself. They don't match.

If the book says "Alzheimer's Prevention Program" wouldn't you think that the disease is stoppable? I just thought why the author would pick this title. If my memory serves me well, the disease can be postponed from 3-7 years (depending from what age you start, and what you give from your time to follow his program) if you follow the directions he wrote about. In the book it never said that you can prevent it, but the title did. Maybe what he meant was that you can prevent it for at least few years. Maybe that is what he meant.
    I don't know if this makes any sense, but never mind.
    Jade157 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2013, 01:36 PM
    I have not been drinking over the past several months. I have drank a lot in my past. But now I can't be bothered.

I don't know what is making me unable to retain information. I do not think it's simply the antidepressant. If that was the case, wouldn't I have been like this for the 8 months I've been on it?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 22, 2013, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade157 View Post
    I don't know what is making me unable to retain information. I do not think it's simply the antidepressant. If that was the case, wouldn't I have been like this for the 8 months I've been on it?
    Yes, your antidepressant could have built up in your system over the 8 months with increasing memory loss.

Talk to the doctor or psychiatrist who is prescribing. You might be able to switch to a different antidepressant without that side effect.

Jun 22, 2013, 08:44 PM
    No interests
    I don't have any interests. I'm 31 years old. I've spent most of my life drinking and dancing and partying with friends or acquaintances.
    I've spent years in school, yet can barely remember a single fact.
    I used to like movies. Now I just use them and TV as a way to pass time.
    I have nothing to talk to anyone about. I feel like my life has been wasted.
    I don't have a time machine. I can't change anything that I've done. But I feel so overwhelmed. I just want it all to end
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 22, 2013, 08:47 PM
    You're a good writer!

What degree do you have? Do you work? Do you live at home or in your own place? Tell me more about yourself, even some good things.
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2013, 06:52 AM
    Right, medication builds up in your system.
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2013, 06:53 AM
    "Yeah, I know you were joking, kind of. First you were like "if (alcohol prevents Alzheimers…)"...and I said "yes,"...I agreed with you (or understood what you said)...later I said "but"...And after that I explained all that because when you said "Sounds rather odd to me,” which made me think about the book title and the contents of the book itself. They don’t match.

If the book says "Alzheimer’s Prevention Program" wouldn't you think that the disease is stoppable? I just thought why the author would pick this title. If my memory serves me well, the disease can be postponed from 3-7 years (depending from what age you start, and what you give from your time to follow his program) if you follow the directions he wrote about. In the book it never said that you can prevent it, but the title did. Maybe what he meant was that you can prevent it for at least few years. Maybe that is what he meant.
    I don’t know if this makes any sense, but never mind."

You don't like me - that's a given. You are going to disect and "correct" every answer I give. Why don't we both just drop it and see if someone can help the OP instead of exercising the need to be right?

Jun 23, 2013, 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You're a good writer!

What degree do you have? Do you work? Do you live at home or in your own place? Tell me more about yourself, even some good things.
    I live with my boyfriend in Northern Canada. My degree is in psychology. But if you asked me to remember anything from it - I can't. I don't even remember my professors names, or the titles of the textbooks.

I used to love being with friends and talking. But now I have a hard time talking about anything. I don't know what to talk about.

All I can think of most of the time is shouting " I AM SO SAD, I CANNOT THINK, I DON'T WANT TO BE HERE".

I have always been interested in exercise. Now, I don't do anything. I can't go for a run or a walk. The outside world scares me. I don't feel frightened of anything in particular, I just don't want to go outside. I've tried to exercise inside - and I'm exhausted.

I have been crying a lot, and unable to control it.

I want to be around people, and talk. But my mind seems to be blank.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 23, 2013, 08:58 AM
    I have a degree is psych too and can't remember professors' names or textbook titles either.

Do you have a job? How do you support yourself?

Are there any counselors in your neck of the woods?

Have you ever been to Niagara Falls?

Jun 23, 2013, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I have a degree is psych too and can't remember professors' names or textbook titles either.

Do you have a job? How do you support yourself?

Are there any counselors in your neck of the woods?

Have you ever been to Niagara Falls?
    Funny you mention Niagra falls. I've been before and really enjoyed it. I am currently visiting my family and they went. I did not. I don't want to do anything. I don't find enjoyment in it.

And when I even begin to tell someone, like now, I cry uncontrollably.

I have been doing remote cooking work to pay bills. But I despise it. Really hate it. But I need money so badly that I feel like I have to keep going.

Why wouldn't I want to go to niagra falls? It's so pretty there. All I want to do... is not be here.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 23, 2013, 09:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade157 View Post
    Funny you mention Niagra falls. I've been before and really enjoyed it.
    I live near Chicago now, but my home is near Niagara Falls. When you mentioned Canada, my thoughts immediately went to the Falls. In fact, I got to see them years ago when the engineers, to check erosion, had diverted the American Falls to the Horseshoe Falls, so the American Falls had no water flowing over it. It was all just wet rocks and moss. It was amazing!
    I have been doing remote cooking work to pay bills.
    How does this work?

What about the counselor? A different prescription?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 23, 2013, 10:13 AM
    Jade, please don't start new threads. Add to this one.

Your writing is very prolific.

What did you like about Niagara Falls?

Jun 23, 2013, 10:22 AM
    Maybe I am bipolar?
    >merged threads<

I've been on medication for depression. I notice my lows are very bad... not getting out of bed, not finding joy in anything.

When I am not depressed, I have tons of energy. Sometimes only need 5 or 6 hours sleep. Constantly thinking And talking and have things to say.

I've told my doctor this. They said I could have a "light" form of bipolar disorder. This was all well and good when I was happy.

Now, I'm unhappy again. So very unhappy. I'm on the antidepressant still. But I've never felt so little joy, in everything.

Eating, it's like I'm force feeding myself terribly high fat and calorie things, just for that first small speck of taste that I enjoy. Then... guilt and shame.

I want to lose weight. Badly. But I can't make myself even go for a walk.

I just don't know what to do.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 23, 2013, 10:28 AM
    Are you taking the antidepressant at the right times and in the correct amount as prescribed?

Jun 23, 2013, 10:37 AM
    Now, here is what I think you should do:

First, if “citalopram” is not working for you, if you are not getting better, or you are feeling worse than talk to your doctor.
    You're depressed. Depression makes you feel like all you want to do is lay down, and cry. I think you should volunteer somewhere to help you find a purpose in life. I mean, if you have time to spare.

Secondly, if you feel like crying all the time, and like you don't want to go outside, than that is fine. Start slowly, you don't have to go long distance, just go outside to your garden and walk there for as long as you feel like it (or any place close to your home).
    Sounds like you don't want to be honest or maybe share this with your doctor. Why?

Jun 23, 2013, 10:42 AM
    I am so sorry. I know I shouldn't be saying this right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    You don't like me
    Funny; I was thinking the opposite.
    Oh gosh no. I don't hate you. Why would I? You did make me feel angry sometimes, but that doesn't live in me anymore. I felt angry, but I never hated you, and I don't want you to think that I ever will. I can't hate anyone, and I don't. It's not a choice I made that is just how I feel.

Wow - well, if alcohol prevents Alzheimer's my "ex" will live to be about 999 years old.
    I was not correcting you. You said “if” I don't see any facts to crack here.

I don't think that you would make a mistake like this; if there is someone who misses all the facts and details that's got to be me. And I already proved this point.

Do I sound harsh and cold? I hope not. All I am saying is I am sorry, and I don't hate you.

Jun 23, 2013, 02:43 PM
    I just answer here? I was starting new threads thinking of a "one problem at a time" method.

I have been seeing a therapist at my school, which I am no longer in. I told her I have been feeling very depressed. I can search for a therapist through my city, and I should.

But the most pending thing has got to be how unhappy I am feeling. I don't enjoy anything.

I used to be good at faking it? Now I find I cannot.

The medication did work, I pulled myself out of the last slump for months. For some reason now it doesn't. Or I've just been doing so little for so long that I can't find a way to do anything. I does not make sense. I just need to find a way to do something. Anything.

I don't do anything. I want to. But not in the way that someone wants to do something, and then does it. I basically don't want to do anything.

I can't think of the last time I've had a conversation with someone.

I used to talk all the time. But I have done nothing in the past several months. I have stayed in bed, gone to work when I have to, and stayed inside with my boyfriend.

And gotten fat. Well, fat for me. I am uncomfortable in my skin.

Jun 23, 2013, 02:48 PM
    Also- I really feel like I can't think. Maybe that's why I've started so many threads.

You remember a time when the falls were different, and have facts with this. I don't know if I could do that.

A story I would tell would leave out the facts, or I wouldn't remember the people.

I'm not interested in things. How do I find common interests with people when I remember nothing? And how did I do it before?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't remember the artist, but remember a few song names/music videos. Help? [ 0 Answers ]

I know it was a boy band and they had like one big hit on the radio, but after that nothing really. The main singer had like platinum blond hair. The music video to their popular song had them taking a bunch of girls to party in a convenience store because they couldn't get into the club or...

What does it mean if your depressed but don't know what your depressed about? [ 1 Answers ]

I feel down all the time... I'm also stressed... I can't really stand to be around kids anymore even my own... I have no friends and I go no wheres all I do is sit at home with my kids... I have people around that don't treat my kids the same as they do others and I don't know why cause one of them...

My mom is depressed and she's making me depressed what do I do! [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I am 14 years old and my mom is depressed and is making me depressed I started working with her and she freaked out at me because I didn't sweep properly, she brought me home and just left. How do I help her and help myself! I'm starting to think of suicide but I can't just leave...

View more questions Search